20 | Bernardo Silva - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got the Manchester (city) DNA of an irresistible combination of swagger and poise and handle knocks with our classic detached equanimity, but I will lose my shit like a spider monkey on acid if I hear one more clueless tube on Sly Sports or the other one expressing their incredulity that tHe CLub wAnTEd tO sEll BERnaRdO in the summer.

For fucks actual sake.

Tbh, whilst there are quite a few very obvious similarities and reasons to compare the two I think they're fundamentally different players.

David was all about passing and positioning. Even in his earlier years, he had the rare ability to control a game from the attacking third in a way a DM would on the halfway line. His ability to get on the ball was incredible, his creativity was off the charts at his peak and he was quite the genius that we're likely never going to see again.

Bernardo doesn't have David's in game intellect, but he is as gifted at combining technique and workrate as almost anybody ever. He is the ultimate team player with the most insane close control and dribbling you could ask for. He makes so many smart runs to support team-mates and create potential opportunities it's unbelievable.

I'd say it's great we had David when we did and that we have Bernardo now though. I'd put them on similar pedestals but as stated above, for very different reasons.
Agreed, I think if Bernardo is to be compared to anyone in world football it's Messi. I'm not saying they're identical but there are quite a few commonalities in their skill sets.

Bernardo's first touch is insane whether he's controlling a pass fired in to him from close range, a long diagonal or a ball dropping out of the sky, it's always perfect. His close control is on the same level to Messi's in that the ball basically sticks to both of them. He's also a brilliant dribbler, the perfect example being that run against Liverpool where they couldn't get near him.

The only areas he falls short in are goal output which is almost impossible to match Messi on that front. Although I will say Bernardo is clearly a very technically good finisher who can produce a wide array of finishes. He can score from long range, curl one in the top corner, chip the keeper or catch them off guard with a snapshot. But clearly there is a disparity in terms of volume of goals.

Also, creatively Messi is better and in that sense he is more comparable to David Silva. Having said that, Bernardo is more than capable of creating for others with a pinpoint cross or a perfectly weighted through ball just not with the same regularity.

The quality he possesses that is probably unmatched in world football is work rate, to put that much effort in when you are so talented on the ball is not something a lot of players do.

It is clear without Bernie we would not even be in top four this season forget about top of the league.

True..

Who don't a-knowledge this - I think don't understand the football in overall and especially Pep`s football..

Then let's ask counter question to those, who think that it's not true.. (Please re-watch Tottenham game, were we lost and ask yourselves question - why..)

Please name the player, who could play Bernardo`s position and influence the game - like he does now..

I know who you are thinking about, but what Bernardo does in small spaces - HE ISN'T ABLE TO DO and when you can't do that, then whole midfield is under constant pressure and you loose ball more frequently, which means that opponent possesses the ball more, your defenders have to defend more and etc. and etc.

Just rewatch Tottenham away game. Bernardo wasn't there, but he was and we lost.. Why ? Because he isn't as good for Pep`s philosophy like Bernardo is.. And without Bernardo, we could have easily lost against Chelsea, against Liverpool, those PSG games and in the end that's how you get out of top four - simple as that.

Yep, we had that midfield in 2019 / 2020 - why it was the worst season under Pep ? Because no one could do the stuff - Bernardo is doing..

And what's more important Pep agrees on that and that's why KDB had to play false 9 - whole playoffs last season..

Without Bernardo - this season was destined for failure and that's the fact. Like for example without Rodri we were destined for failure or without Ederson. That doesn't mean that team counts only on Bernardo or only on Rodri or only on Ederson - but these players are ideal for Pep`s philosophy.

Joe Hart was great keeper, but Ederson suited Pep`s style better. Play Joe Hart instead of him and you are out of top four, because that's how Pep`s system works.

Same story applies to Bernardo. We should just a-knowledge his importance, like we did that for Ederson..

You need Bernardo or someone who plays like Bernardo. Right now, in the midfield - only Bernardo possesses that specific style of play..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.