20 years ago today - last game at Maine Road

I was one of the mascots that day. Pretended to tie my lace and duck down while they selected the Southampton players, miscounted, stood up and got paired with David Prutton right at the end

Got badly stung for that game. £350 for 2 tickets in the North Stand from a Salford head I knew back when.
Fucked off to the pub as soon as the whistle went

I never knew that that the last game I saw at Maine Road would be The Last Game I’d See At Maine Road. I should have realised what everyone else saw that night, but I was home for Christmas, living a bloody long way away, and would be going back a bloody long way, so much so that I’d not see the Blues live for another 14 years. I’d never seen the New Kippax, and saw it for one night only, from pitch-level Main Stand.

It was so sad.

Lovely goal from Benarbia, though.

I never knew that that the last game I saw at Maine Road would be The Last Game I’d See At Maine Road. I should have realised what everyone else saw that night, but I was home for Christmas, living a bloody long way away, and would be going back a bloody long way, so much so that I’d not see the Blues live for another 14 years. I’d never seen the New Kippax, and saw it for one night only, from pitch-level Main Stand.

It was so sad.

Lovely goal from Benarbia, though.

I thought we played great that day.

My situation was (and still is) similar to yours. I came back from a long way away for Christmas that year too. I was sat in the Gene Kelly. I managed to get to the Villa game a few days later and that was it for Maine Road for me after all those years.

Happy days, in the main.

Maine Road died for me the day the Old Kippax was knocked down to make way for that fucking awful monstrosity Lee built in its place.

I was at the final game of course, my Grandad had been at the first, I was there for the last and the first at the Etihad. I got a seat in the North Stand and bought the last pie they had, my mate nicked it and threw it on the pitch.

Just been given this .Apparently it was in one the Cafes/Bars at Maine Road.Ive no need to disbelieve the guy who gave it to me as he isn't a footy fan he was just guy was Stripping the place out.

Attachments

• City Banner 1.jpg
    City Banner 1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 73
Ha, love that last notice. "If you have inadvertently brought a knife with you..."
I actually did it once ,straight from work for the League Cup Semi v Rags at The Etihad just as I was going into Mary D's .Dumped it over the mound next to the chippy .Chanced a look after the game....still there...Only a Stanley knife
Still got it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.