2006-07 Season

I sometimes wonder how we didn't get relegated that season. We scored a pathetic 10 goals at home all season. Played bad football and our best player was Joey Barton.

A season to truly forget. Luckily we had a good summer in 2007 and recruited wisely and Sven did a good job for the club (Except the 8-1 battering at the end of the season).

In a perverse way, we were spoilt even in the shit days, in that nearly every season went down to the wire with something riding on it. Even if it was relegation. Going down on the last day of the season may not be much fun but at least it’s not boring.

Some clubs have decades at a time of this kind of mid table nothingness.

I remember the relegations in 1996, 1998 and 2001 but no season made me fall out of love with football like 2006/07. It was an unrelentingly dreary and miserable season. Our football was dire and joyless. I went shopping with my now wife the day of the derby and listened to Vassell’s penalty on 5 live.

After that torture Stuart Pearce’s opinion on football should be utterly disregarded. He is at best a dinosaur, at worst he is the epitome of the Don Howe/ Howard Wilkinson era of industrial football.

I was away in Vegas when the takeover was close to completion and bumped into a City supporter. We spoke about a manager, he said anyone but Sven…

The contrast between then and now is beyond belief.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.