2011 John Smiths Grand National - YOUR BETS?

GStar said:
Sack it off all together?

No chance. The trainers, owners and jockeys etc know what they risk in the race. It's awful that horses have fatal falls but the race is fantastic and Aintree have made the course safer recently despite the deaths yesterday.

jay_mcfc said:
GStar said:
Sack it off all together?

No chance. The trainers, owners and jockeys etc know what they risk in the race. It's awful that horses have fatal falls but the race is fantastic and Aintree have made the course safer recently despite the deaths yesterday.

In honesty i wasn't being completely serious. I just don't understand the horse racing industry; i get the impression it's a corrupt inner circle operating off 'daft' punter's money. I don't get the point of it... i'm not even getting into the animal side of things, but i've be unsure whether these horses really do want to have little irish men shoved on their backs and forced to jump over hedges ;)

Speaking of which, the Grand National always has a high percentage of fallers, and something like 33 fatalities in 11 years, if that were people the thing would be shut down without a bat of an eyelid... the fact its people in control of the animals their killing... sorry, i'm going off on one a bit.

GStar said:
jay_mcfc said:

In honesty i wasn't being completely serious. I just don't understand the horse racing industry; i get the impression it's a corrupt inner circle operating off 'daft' punter's money. I don't get the point of it... i'm not even getting into the animal side of things, but i've be unsure whether these horses really do want to have little irish men shoved on their backs and forced to jump over hedges ;)

Speaking of which, the Grand National always has a high percentage of fallers, and something like 33 fatalities in 11 years, if that were people the thing would be shut down without a bat of an eyelid... the fact its people in control of the animals their killing... sorry, i'm going off on one a bit.
Your aguments are flawed, People die in Motor sports every year and that isn't shut down. When a horse falls 99/100 it gets back up and carries on jumping the fences, If it didnt want to jump them it wouldnt.

GStar said:
jay_mcfc said:

Personally I'd rather no horses died because they're awesome animals and part of the evolutionary tree of life.

4.5 miles in 10 minutes is nearly 30 an hour.

The flat season is about to start :)

bluesmith said:
Your aguments are flawed, People die in Motor sports every year and that isn't shut down. When a horse falls 99/100 it gets back up and carries on jumping the fences, If it didnt want to jump them it wouldnt.

My argument could well be flawed, but i think thats yours probably i too.

The difference being, a motor sports driver chooses to put themselves in that situation, they understand the risks. I'm not sure horses are consulted and given the same option, i also don't think it's quite as simple as 'if they didn't want to jump, they wouldn't' - possibly due to fear (why else would a jockey carry a whip other than to frighten the horse into running faster?) plus i don't want to say brainwashing, but rearing a horse and forcing it to train for racing it's entire life... its not like the horse can chose not to one day and become a lawyer.

Going off a little here, I think it's time whips were banned. If nobody carried them then it's an equal playing field and no-one would be disadvantaged

GStar said:
bluesmith said:

My argument could well be flawed, but i think thats yours probably i too.

The difference being, a motor sports driver chooses to put themselves in that situation, they understand the risks. I'm not sure horses are consulted and given the same option, i also don't think it's quite as simple as 'if they didn't want to jump, they wouldn't' - possibly due to fear (why else would a jockey carry a whip other than to frighten the horse into running faster?) plus i don't want to say brainwashing, but rearing a horse and forcing it to train for racing it's entire life... its not like the horse can chose not to one day and become a lawyer.

Horses are herd animals. If they see others running, they will instincively try and catch up.

Thats why the 'why would they keep running' arguement doesnt really stand up.

As previoulsy mentioned, I love horse racing and of course it carries a risk, but deaths at the National isnt a risk, its an inevitability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.