2020/21 Predictions

This is a season of transition for City. It feels like the Summer was very important for City and we wasted it chasing a 33 year old footballer who would have been fantastic for the City Group but perhaps too old to be carried by a creaking Manchester City. In the end I was disappointed not to sign Messi because he is he greatest but he is in the final years of his playing career. City would have had to carry aspects of his defensive game and our defence is a car-wreck.

Without a pre-season it is difficult to predict how the season will unfold. It feels like this great City side are at the end of their days, in fact our day may have gone for we have a number of problems.

What is going on with Pep? The Champions League was disaster for him. I think he has lost a bit of credit in the game for the Lyon game which was a disaster for the club and the coach. I want him to stay but will he? He could damage his legacy as a manager if he does not manage this City side through a transitional crossroad.

David Silva left at the right time. His offensive game was good but his legs were going and off the ball he could not pressure as he once did. With Fernandinho also absent, City's defensive game in midfield became a real issue when Rodri, Silva and Gundogan played. City have lacked energy and dynamism in midfield and yet we have de Bruyne, Bernardo and Foden in the squad. I hope to see Bernardo restored and Foden could be at the start of an incredible career. We could in these players have a great midfield but much rests on Rodri. Last season I saw a very talented payer but one who was struggling to come to terms with the pace of the game. I think he struggled playing in front of Fernandinho who defensively was a disaster and alongside Silva and Gundogan whose defensive games were very poor. We had become pedestrian in midfield but if you look at the players we have: de Bruyne, Bernardo,Foden and Rodri we really are blessed in this area.

Kompany's absence is felt still. Ake is a very good footballer. Laporte prior to his injury was an outstanding player for Manchester City but quite unusual in that he was a play maker from deep. Last season, we failed to replace Kompany and with Laporte injured we really were in trouble. The defence never recovered but even with Laporte we had problems. Otamendi and Fenrandinho's legs have gone. Stones seems to have lost the faith of everyone including himself. Stones has the natural talent but needs to take his opportunity. He lacks authority on the pitch. Can he yet seize it? We may need him too because Ake is a very good versatile footballer but he is as left-sided as Laporte. We've yet to see him play in a non-existent pre-season. We don't even know for sure where he will play and how he will be used.

Left-back has become a problem for City. Mendy looked a spectacular player when he joined but injuries have taken a lot from his game. He's good going forward without being great, and defensively he has lacked discipline. He's losing his position but Zinchenko and Cancelo do OK. Between them they can do a job. I am glad we didn't buy Chilwell in the Summer. Too slow. He would have been exposed playing in our offensive side. Left-back I thought might have been resolved this Summer. It wont be fundamental to our success or failure this season but I thought we might buy a left-back.

Aguero has one season left. His body is under pressure. He's very slow now, but very wily. Still our best finisher. Can we get one more season out of him? I prefer Jesus in many ways now. Jesus is an unbelievably talented player but perhaps not an out and out striker in the way that Aguero is.

We have some fantastic players but last season the whole became less than the parts. It was sad to see Bernardo out of the picture during a season when we lacked dynamism.

I am frustrated at the moment because I think we've bought a very good footballer in Ake but I am not really convinced that he can play on the right side of defence. I would have liked to buy Koulibaly but I concede that he maybe past his best. Here is a player who is 29 which is not too old for a footballer but he is a player whose game has been based on supreme physicality and without seeing him week in week out it is questionable whether he still has it. I really expected City to buy a right sided centre-back, and left back and possibly a striker. The left back and centre-forward can possibly be left another year but we have made a strange choice in Ake. I think he is a very good footballer but I wonder how he will fit in with City as Laporte is the left-sided central defender. Perhaps we have doubts about Rodri? Or perhaps Ake was just too good an opportunity to miss.

If Jesus can develop, Ake can play as a right sided centre-back, or Stones recovers his poise then City could win the league.

I would feel more comfortable if City had bought a right-sided central defender. We may also need cover up front because Aguero looks vulnerable. This is a potential worry.

Liverpool have been playing poorly for quite some time and yet amassing points. Once again they got an opening penalty against Leeds which should never have been gven whilst Man Utd will not doubt amass penalties by the bucketload.

I thought Liverpool would really struggle this season because this side really has relied so much on intensity and I thought that might drop and they also lacked a midfield schemer to open up packed defences but in Thiago they have a very good player. How do they integrate a top footballer in a midfield that presses like crazy? I think though they will find a way, and they are back in contention for the title now. Thiago is offensively excellent and transformative. teams who park the bus against Liverpool will be in trouble now.

Man Utd also have a very good side in the making despite potentially wasting £100m on Sancho who is a player they do not need. Pray they do not buy a central defender, and full backs (their fullbacks are awful).Eventually more by luck than judgement, Utd may stumble on a side. They are getting closer. I think they lack a central striker so let's hope Greenwood does not develop in that respect.

Werner looks brilliant. Pulisic is too but will he stay fit. I do wonder though if Chelsea have addressed their defensive problems. Havertz played an awful game vs Brighton but Werner is going to top the goal-scoring charts this season and for his signing alone I'd make Chelsea a title contender.

Arsenal are there too. I think some fans may laugh but they always had talent but now they have self-belief. Offensively they are as good as anyone, and they may at last be addressing their defensive weaknesses.

I had City down to win the title but I am not sure about our Summer transfer business. Ake might be the perfect player for Guardiola but does he fit City where we have Laporte who plays his game? Liverpool have got a player in which might help to deal with the problems I forecast for them: packed defences.

I think it's very difficult to predict a title-winner.

Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Chelsea , Utd are all in contention.

I read all of that, including the repetitive bits (you need a better editor), do I get a prize?

I agree with a lot of what you say, I disagree about Aguero being "very slow" and I also disagree about United being contenders, though they are getting better. Sancho was always very unlikely to happen, they are linked year after year with mega-money players, but they rarely come off and never for promising youngsters at that value. They keep buying players who improve the team a little, but not enough to make the jump to contender.

Chelsea on the other hand have made some excellent signings (don't judge Havertz on the Brighton performance) and if anyone is going to push us and the dippers it will be them. They however have a similar issue to ourselves in that their defence is suspect. Moreso in fact than ours, who suffered as much from the impact of our lack of press last season as they did the defensive unit deficiencies.

Ake is a brilliant signing and will help in all areas, and you failed to mention Torres at all, who should he prove to be as good as the few sightings I've had of him suggest, may well mean losing Sane isn't the big problem I thought it was. Potentially, that is a title winning signing, with the emphasis on potentially.

Left back I though Cancelo came into his own towards the end of the season, and would be happy with him and Mendy sharing those duties.

Striker, who knows. Heart says Aguero is good for another season, Jesus who I like as a player doesn't convince me as a direct replacement despite his excellent goals/minute stats. Aguero is more than capable of creating and taking his own chances, whereas (my perception at least) of Jesus is that he needs the service to thrive. An out and out goal scorer, preferably with a little height, is a must next season, but if he's available this, then why not.

E
I read all of that, including the repetitive bits (you need a better editor), do I get a prize?

I agree with a lot of what you say, I disagree about Aguero being "very slow" and I also disagree about United being contenders, though they are getting better. Sancho was always very unlikely to happen, they are linked year after year with mega-money players, but they rarely come off and never for promising youngsters at that value. They keep buying players who improve the team a little, but not enough to make the jump to contender.

Chelsea on the other hand have made some excellent signings (don't judge Havertz on the Brighton performance) and if anyone is going to push us and the dippers it will be them. They however have a similar issue to ourselves in that their defence is suspect. Moreso in fact than ours, who suffered as much from the impact of our lack of press last season as they did the defensive unit deficiencies.

Ake is a brilliant signing and will help in all areas, and you failed to mention Torres at all, who should he prove to be as good as the few sightings I've had of him suggest, may well mean losing Sane isn't the big problem I thought it was. Potentially, that is a title winning signing, with the emphasis on potentially.

Left back I though Cancelo came into his own towards the end of the season, and would be happy with him and Mendy sharing those duties.

Striker, who knows. Heart says Aguero is good for another season, Jesus who I like as a player doesn't convince me as a direct replacement despite his excellent goals/minute stats. Aguero is more than capable of creating and taking his own chances, whereas (my perception at least) of Jesus is that he needs the service to thrive. An out and out goal scorer, preferably with a little height, is a must next season, but if he's available this, then why not.
If I was to judge Chelsea's performance against Brighton, would say they'd struggle to make top half. Let alone top 4/ winners. There is a long way to go and they'll improve. But I can bet my bottom dollar that if things don't go to plan against Wolves, they'll be all the negative sods on here judging the rest of our season by just this one game.

Unfortunately we have had a group of influential players coming to the end of their careers over the last few seasons , Zabs,Yaya,Vinnie,Merlin and Kun,Dinho , Otto are also on a downward trend , replacing players like these is so difficult , when you are talking £80m for Koubailly at 29years old to replace Vinnie it puts the task into perspective
Quite sure top four will not be a problem but another title assault is even more difficult when you see rivals strengthening their squads , fortunately i am not a post 2010 fan and i am used to mediocrity and can accept it.
Top four finish , win a cup and lay the Champs league curse and at least get to the final and develop a couple more academy lads into the first team squad would not give me sleepless nights , getting to 40 points under Swales & Franny did.

Don't care what happens as long as I'm not subjected to another season of phlegm on TV and radio.

1 City
2 Liverpool
3 United
4 Chelsea
5 Wolves
6 Arsenal
7 Everton
8 Leeds
9 Tottenham
10 Leicester
11 Sheffield
12 Newcastle
13 Burnley
14 Southampton
15 West Ham
16 Palace
17 Brighton
18 West Brom
19 Fulham
20 Villa

Watching Bayern and Sane last night, there can be no doubt he is a major loss.

Great player and will be badly missed!

We will be 1st or 2nd scousers and chelsea will be our main challenger

Top 4 will be us, rags, scousers, chelsea in what order I do not know.

Going down will be Villa, Fulham and one other from leeds, wba, sheff U , saints, palace

Cups we will be finalist in both domestic and out of the champs league in the qtrs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.