2022 World Cup Discussion

For players who don't advance beyond the group stage, they actually get a 3 week break before fixtures resume.

Looking at the groups, Germany, Japan and Spain together so a chance Rodri and Laporte, or Gundogan, is well rested if they avoid injury. Maybe Akanji too with Switzerland.

If Portugal don't gel they are in with Uruguay, Ghana and South Korea, you'd expect Portugal to win the group but if not then we have half our squad back early.

Anyone not making the semis should have a week off. Not idea but workable. May come down to mentality of the player coming back. Jesus misses a penalty in the semi final, how fast can he shrug it off? Our lads and our setup has that experience and environment established already to overcome that faster.

All I want from this world cup is

England, Portugal, Holland, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, Argentina, Spain all to go out in the group stages and our players home in 2 weeks ready for the League cup tie and leeds

Didn't include brasil becasue probably Eddie won't play but sooner he is home the better too.

I think it's the fact it was so corrupt and its clearly unsuited. The fact they had to move it to winter. Build all the stadiums with slave labour and then they will just get abandoned. Its just so wrong, there is no reason for it to be there other than corruption.

Human rights is the cherry on top.
I'm not sure about the "slave labour" aspect, not read anything on it tbh.

However, I find the whole " Human Rights" angle to be hypocritical coming from Western Europe. There is a constant flow of "Economic Migrants" making their way across boarders Coutries, Sea etc with many losing their lives in a terrible way all to make a better live for themselves and their Family.
The labour to build the stadia in Qatar is no different, people will travel for work if there is no alternative.

Europe's Human Rights record should be challenged but all we hear is the attack on Qatar for political point scoring and from football fans as point scoring too. Somehow linking City, Newcastle PSG
to a World Cup in Qatar!

I wonder why the Carbon footprint of this tournament is rarely mentioned.

Contruction of stadiums in a Country and landscape unsuitable.
The stadiums generally have no further use after a month long tournament.
The facilities constructed to house fans and all the enterage and media that goes with a world cup.
The fans that will be flying in and out of Qatar because that is the only realistic way of getting there.

A decision like this should not have happened but we know why it did.

It should not be allowed to happen again though and tournaments should be given to places in a position to hold them with minimal disruption to social, economic and environmental issues.

Hope England win it though with 5 City lads on the pitch and not a Rag in site.

I'm not sure about the "slave labour" aspect, not read anything on it tbh.

However, I find the whole " Human Rights" angle to be hypocritical coming from Western Europe. There is a constant flow of "Economic Migrants" making their way across boarders Coutries, Sea etc with many losing their lives in a terrible way all to make a better live for themselves and their Family.
The labour to build the stadia in Qatar is no different, people will travel for work if there is no alternative.

Europe's Human Rights record should be challenged but all we hear is the attack on Qatar for political point scoring and from football fans as point scoring too. Somehow linking City, Newcastle PSG
to a World Cup in Qatar!

I wonder why the Carbon footprint of this tournament is rarely mentioned.

Contruction of stadiums in a Country and landscape unsuitable.
The stadiums generally have no further use after a month long tournament.
The facilities constructed to house fans and all the enterage and media that goes with a world cup.
The fans that will be flying in and out of Qatar because that is the only realistic way of getting there.

A decision like this should not have happened but we know why it did.

It should not be allowed to happen again though and tournaments should be given to places in a position to hold them with minimal disruption to social, economic and environmental issues.

Hope England win it though with 5 City lads on the pitch and not a Rag in site.
It is indentured servitude, once you sign up you cannot even leave until your employee allows no matter the conditions.

not slavery but not far off it

just checked for own curiosity, assume people stay in Dubai, fly in / out of Doha, the price is £320 return flights. Doing that for 3 games + maybe a hotel stay in Doha for night match, expensive trip.

to me it is a bit of a worry that some of our rivals in PL has lot less players busy with the WC.
Arsenal, Pool dont have too many players missing imo...
majority of their squad will be able to work and get some proper pre season while we have Haaland, Mahrez and couple of youngsters left...
WC2022.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.