2023/2024: Kevin De Bruyne’s Most Productive Season?

SebastianBlue

President, International Julian Alvarez Fan Club
I thought this was worthy of its own thread, as I think there is a wide array of opinions as to the relative quality of Kev’s performance in the league this season.

Interested to get other blues’ views in light of the statistics (which I know some don’t bother with or trust, to be fair).

Here are some stats for thought re: Kev this season.

Kev ranks 4th for total xAG (10.5; 0.3 off the three tied for first: Salah, Son, Fernandes) in the league, even though everyone else in the top 10 played 2-3x as many minutes. Phil is 10th with 8.4 xAG.

xAG is in some ways a better determinate of creative contribution than assists, as it factors in the quality of chances created (largely in his control) but not converted (largely out of his control). And Per 90 stats help normalise for fair comparison across players with differing minutes played totals.

Kev ranks 1st in xAG Per 90 (0.85), doubling 2nd placed Mohammad Salah’s haul (0.42).

To further support how insane these xAG stats are, though, he actually lead the league by some distance in Assists Per 90 (0.74), including players that got an assist or two over very few minutes. Pedro Neto and Jacob Murphy, of all players, are joint 2nd with 0.53 (quite the drop from Kev), with the Newcastle man having nearly the same exact minutes played.

For more context, of players that have more than 2,000 minutes in the ranking (around twice as many as Kev), Brennan Johnson is 5th (0.43), Trippier and Harvey Elliot are joint 7th (0.40), and Cole Palmer and James Maddison, who both had essentially twice the minutes, are joint 10th (0.38, or nearly half the Assists Per 90).

Based on his Per 90 stats, if Kev had played as many minutes as Ollie Watkins, the eventual winner of the PL Playmaker of the Season for 2023/2024 with 13 assists, the Ginger Prince would have absolutely left everyone else in his dust, doubling the Villa striker’s total and smashing the all-time single season assists record with 26. He could have even had a dip mid season and still nicked the record with 21.

I am fairly sure that if one were to go back in time and calculate the Assists Per 90 from all previous league seasons, his productivity this season would be in the top five. He’s lead the Assists Per 90 table 5 of the 9 seasons since he joined, and was second for 2 of the other 4.

If we look at Goals + Assists Per 90 he is 4th (1.03), behind Cole Palmer (1.14; that drops well below Kev if you exclude penalties for a fair comparison), Michael Olise (1.13), and his partner in attacking crime, the Striking Viking (1.13), who also apparently disappointed this season.

Only Salah (1.18) and Erling (1.17) have a higher xG+xAG Per 90, with Kev managing 1.03.

TL;DR

There is an argument to be made that this is actually Kev’s most productive season in the league, even though he didn’t play as many minutes compared to most other seasons, including last year’s historic campaign.

Last edited:
I think as City fans though, we judge Kev by his own high standards, and for the most part he looked like a guy, a lethal guy mind, who didn’t look 100% fit.

He looked a yard short of pace and yet the guy most likely to open up a defence, at the same time.

I watched a YouTube video of his 100 goals for City last night and the quality of his goals alone for City, never mind his assists, is off the charts.
He has consistently scored the same kind of long range pinpoint accuracy, type goals with both his left and right feet. And the power he gets in the pile drivers also, with left or right foot.

His own standards are incredibly high. He missed a few months of the season through serious injury. At times it looked like it………. by his own high standards.

I think as City fans though, we judge Kev by his own high standards, and for the most part he looked like a guy, a lethal guy mind, who didn’t look 100% fit.

He looked a yard short of pace and yet the guy most likely to open up a defence, at the same time.

I watched a YouTube video of his 100 goals for City last night and the quality of his goals alone for City, never mind his assists, is off the charts.
He has consistently scored the same kind of long range pinpoint accuracy, type goals with both his left and right feet. And the power he gets in the pile drivers also, with left or right foot.

His own standards are incredibly high. He missed a few months of the season through serious injury. At times it looked like it………. by his own high standards.
I think there is some truth in this when it comes to how blues have assessed Kev’s (and Erling’s) seasons.

They are victims particularly of the effectively full season standards they set in our treble winning campaign. I think, for some, even if Kev blew away the single season assists record next season, or Haaland destroyed his own single season goals record, they would not have topped their overall performance last season.

And, in some ways, that is fair enough, as last season was likely one of the most difficult and draining seasons they’ll ever experience, so their productivity was absolutely insane in that context.

But I do think the stats comparison I provided can reveal hidden context about how our perspective could be slightly misaligned with the reality of Kev’s actual overall performance this season. That is, we might have seen him as struggling more than he actually was because of our retrospective perception of last season.

The actual numbers matter more than the numbers per 90.

You can see why from the desperate attempts by Liverpool fans to portray Nunez's numbers as "elite" before April.

Kevin has helped us to win the league and reach the FA Cup final. He was instrumental in several games, especially Newcastle away and Palace away. But even if his numbers per 90 minutes are better than last season, one needs only to watch his performances vs Arsenal or Liverpool from last and this season to see he was better last season, especially in the big games.

As an opposing fan I'll tell you when KDB came back he looked overweight and I thought 'he's finished, or close to it'.

In hindsight I think he's a big reason you won the title. His ability to open up defences and being on the same wavelength as Erling meant you were able to score at key moments. He's been vital for you. Again.

I think there is some truth in this when it comes to how blues have assessed Kev’s (and Erling’s) seasons.

They are victims particularly of the effectively full season standards they set in our treble winning campaign. I think, for some, even if Kev blew away the single season assists record next season, or Haaland destroyed his own single season goals record, they would not have topped their overall performance last season.

And, in some ways, that is fair enough, as last season was likely one of the most difficult and draining seasons they’ll ever experience, so their productivity was absolutely insane in that context.

But I do think the stats comparison I provided can reveal hidden context about how our perspective could be slightly misaligned with the reality of Kev’s actual overall performance this season. That is, we might have seen him as struggling more than he actually was because of our retrospective perception of last season.
At times the team looked jaded and I suppose we are used to him coming up with the goods in those moments.
However critical anyone on here sounds in the spur of the moment match thread type scenario, statistics or no statistics to back up any viewpoint, I really don’t think you’ll find anyone in here, not fully appreciating Kev’s contribution.
I thought he summed it up best himself, in his interview, pitch side after the last game. He basically said that coming back from injury, he just wanted to help the team anyway he could. He didn’t see himself as the main man at all.

Perhaps we as fans should take that on board sometimes. We tend to see him as the main man and judge accordingly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.