2023/2024: Kevin De Bruyne’s Most Productive Season?

The actual numbers matter more than the numbers per 90.

You can see why from the desperate attempts by Liverpool fans to portray Nunez's numbers as "elite" before April.

Kevin has helped us to win the league and reach the FA Cup final. He was instrumental in several games, especially Newcastle away and Palace away. But even if his numbers per 90 minutes are better than last season, one needs only to watch his performances vs Arsenal or Liverpool from last and this season to see he was better last season, especially in the big games.
When measuring productivity, the Per 90 numbers should be used, not the nominal totals.

But I understand where you are coming from in regards to perception of his overall performance, especially in comparison to last season.

I just think that perhaps that comparison may be unfairly misaligned for Kev.

As an opposing fan I'll tell you when KDB came back he looked overweight and I thought 'he's finished, or close to it'.

In hindsight I think he's a big reason you won the title. His ability to open up defences and being on the same wavelength as Erling meant you were able to score at key moments. He's been vital for you. Again.
He must be close to being the best at winning the ball back too

His play this season had a bit more of the feel of ‘here this’ll do it’ in terms of final ball rather than the years before where he’s been physically capable of covering box to box.

As an opposing fan I'll tell you when KDB came back he looked overweight and I thought 'he's finished, or close to it'.

In hindsight I think he's a big reason you won the title. His ability to open up defences and being on the same wavelength as Erling meant you were able to score at key moments. He's been vital for you. Again.
He came back the opposite of fat , he worked hard when he was injured , he came back firing , dont know who you were watching

KDB came back fitter than ever with a dandy new hair cut not sure why you thought he was overweight. And, as every year he is the main reason why we have won the league. Totally irreplaceable .

The actual numbers matter more than the numbers per 90.

You can see why from the desperate attempts by Liverpool fans to portray Nunez's numbers as "elite" before April.

Kevin has helped us to win the league and reach the FA Cup final. He was instrumental in several games, especially Newcastle away and Palace away. But even if his numbers per 90 minutes are better than last season, one needs only to watch his performances vs Arsenal or Liverpool from last and this season to see he was better last season, especially in the big games.
Well we have been poor in the big games as a whole so it’s not just KDB. We either lost or drew in all the big games we played before KDB came back. So it’s not just him but the entire team.

I think it’s pretty evident he’s lost that initial burst of pace to get away from people, and he’s also having to conserve energy by not pressing as intensely as he used to. I remain hopeful that with some rest and recovery his hamstring further strengthens and he gets back to the Kev of old, but it was a major injury and there’s a reason we didn’t rush him back. Kev always looks like he’s running out of puff and plays on the limit, but to have to come off against Real at 1-1 with ET ahead was a sign that he’s not been physically where he was. But the numbers don’t lie and he’s had a staggering impact still, so as long as the team is winning and others do the leg work for him there’s still clearly a major positive in having him in the side. His partnership with Phil is evolving and is more effective and Phil and Bernardo will run and run and run so there's an opportunity for Kev to conserve his energy to spring into action when we get the ball. As I said, I'm still hopeful we see him back to his fitness levels before his injury and he gets that initial burst of pace back. He's smart enough to play for a number of years even in a Modric style deeper role if we need him to, making things tick.

KDB came back fitter than ever with a dandy new hair cut not sure why you thought he was overweight. And, as every year he is the main reason why we have won the league. Totally irreplaceable .
He just looked unathletic, and a bit cumbersome. Turned out to be the calm before the storm!

Mind you he'll be 33 by the time next season starts so how long he can play for each game I'd imagine will decrease.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.