#21 | Ferran Torres - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just needs to impose himself on games more. He demanded the captaincy at Valencia and wanted to take David Silva's old shirt number at City, so he clearly backs himself on some level, but I want to see a bit more swagger from him. I've seen enough moments for City and Spain to know he's got the required level of talent to be a proper player for us

I think he made so many good runs yesterday it was a shame no one found him. We were way too slow yesterday and anyone playing upfront would have had a hard time. Pep wants us to keep the ball but sometimes I think we need to stretch the play a bit more and Torres was trying to make that happen with his runs. Centre mid was where we lost that game, an unfit Fern was too exposed, not the lad working his socks off upfront

I think he made so many good runs yesterday it was a shame no one found him. We were way too slow yesterday and anyone playing upfront would have had a hard time. Pep wants us to keep the ball but sometimes I think we need to stretch the play a bit more and Torres was trying to make that happen with his runs. Centre mid was where we lost that game, an unfit Fern was too exposed, not the lad working his socks off upfront

If De Bruyne doesn't play then we don't really play through balls. Cancelo does a bit when he's in more central areas, but otherwise our passing is very much side-to-side. This is one of the many reasons that David Silva was such an important player for us (and especially for players like Sané and Sterling who love to run in behind)

We can't just play the passes for Torres. We had the same issue with Jesus.

Every time they don't work, we give the ball away. And considering the speculative nature of the passes, a lot of those misplaced passes could lead to counters.

Whilst I can see how it's frustrating, we've always played a 'possession is king' approach. Even a guy like De Bruyne plays to this ideal.

It wasn't wrong of Torres to make those runs, but it also wasn't wrong to not pass to him. It only looks bad because we didn't seem to create via any other avenue either. Maybe if we had a better means of taking advantage of the space he opens up with his movement, it wouldn't have been quite the issue.

Maybe one for those that were at the game but to me Torres was anonymous (I watched on TV)... yet Tyler and Neville both said he was having a great game with his movement off the ball

I just don't see it with Torres. He's an instinctive finisher and has decent movement but that's about it. He's not particularly quick, strong, skillful or technical. I struggle to see how he'll be ever be a top player.

People that think he's doing nothing are not seeing he bigger picture. Yes we do need him to do more, but what he was doing should have caused way more problems than it did, but he wasn't supported by his more experienced colleagues. Even the commentary team at Sky mentioned how well he played.
I agree with this. Tbf though to a man, we looked unfit against Spuds, so I am expecting. performances will pick up with fitness levels

I think he’s getting a bad rap for the performances of others.

He ran himself ragged, making darting runs across, and through, their defence, only for the ball to go sideways or backwards.

I can’t think of a single early ball in behind their centre backs from either wing.

Late in the first half, he won the ball on the edge of our box and sprinted out in support, to make himself available for the quick counter, only for the ball to be stopped, Spurs retreated, we played it back to the center backs to pass it to each other a few times, and he just stopped and started walking around like everyone else!

Possession is great. When we have the ball, they can’t score. There are two problems with this being Pep’s mantra:

1) When we do have the ball, 2/3 of our possession is slowly knocking it about amongst the back 4 and the DM

2) When the opposition have their 1/3 of the possession, we always seem to look vulnerable, scrambling for cover and trying to stop a fast break!

Torres is built for the fast break, either himself in the channels or making the run in behind the centre backs for the incisive pass from the flanks. He got NEITHER again at Spurs!

Sadly, I think he worked his socks off doing exactly what Pep wanted, and did it well, but the average fan just sees him as anonymous because he got less touches than most.

Playing ANYONE as centre forward with that quality of service would have produced the same outcome.

I think he’s a player. He’s young, fast, and knows where the goal is. He’s one of the young stars of the Spain team, but we are trying to shoehorn his talents into OUR weakness, not his.

Last edited:
We can't just play the passes for Torres. We had the same issue with Jesus.

Every time they don't work, we give the ball away. And considering the speculative nature of the passes, a lot of those misplaced passes could lead to counters.

Whilst I can see how it's frustrating, we've always played a 'possession is king' approach. Even a guy like De Bruyne plays to this ideal.

It wasn't wrong of Torres to make those runs, but it also wasn't wrong to not pass to him. It only looks bad because we didn't seem to create via any other avenue either. Maybe if we had a better means of taking advantage of the space he opens up with his movement, it wouldn't have been quite the issue.
Agreed, with us when we are slightly off our game it’s very easy to stop us. At the weekend if we would have scored in the first 20mins when we were “fit” we would have been ok, but fitness told and our game slowed and we struggled to create. Torres made so many typical CF runs it was criminal we did not utilise at least one of them. A slight variation at times to our play would confuse the opposition, they would not expect it, but the possession is king mantra is so drilled into us that we don’t seem to risk those types of balls unless Kev is playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.