21 | Sergio Gomez - 2023/24

Time will tell but i don’t think he makes a top class number 8. Obviously that’s not a dog at him the levels we’re used to are ridiculous
He's an 18yo RB being asked to play one of Pep's complicated role reversals, do you see the post with his Champs league stats?

18yo, good enough to get in our squad and trusted to play many positions, Foden who we all agree was a generational talent still hasn't locked down a true role in the team, not that I have any doubt about his talent in the slightest but look how tenderly Pep has treated him in his time.

That says to me that Lewis has a lot more talent than you are giving him credit for.

Though, as you say, time will tell.

Last edited:
He's an 18yo RB being asked to play one of Pep's complicated role reversals, do you see the post with his Champs league stats?

18yo, good enough to get in our squad and trusted to play many positions, Foden who we all agree was a generational talent still hasn't locked down a true role in the team, not that I have any doubt about his talent in the slightest but look how tenderly Pep has treated him in his time.

That says to me that Lewis has a lot more talent than you are giving him credit for.

Though, has you say, time will tell.
Yes, but sometimes people get carried away in assuming that because someone is 19 playing at such a high level they’ll naturally improve due to their age and become top class. Then someone else with some unbelievable natural ability can be raw and behind at that age but once they mature that raw ability takes them to another level.

Nastasic and Eric Garcia come to mind. Clearly mature players at a young age with good football brains. Garcia started a champs league quarter final and Nastasic was our motm against Madrid, world at his feet. However, then when you properly looked at his game you think well, he’s not suddenly going to develop, strength, height or pace and he’s very one footed.

I hope to be proved wrong with Rico, local lad who seems a really nice kid. He ain’t making it at the very top as a fullback. So as an 8 in a side like ours will he suddenly develop and cut it in the long run? I’ve got my doubts because i don’t think he has an outstanding attribute. He’s very talented but he’s generally neat and tidy.

Yes, but sometimes people get carried away in assuming that because someone is 19 playing at such a high level they’ll naturally improve due to their age and become top class. Then someone else with some unbelievable natural ability can be raw and behind at that age but once they mature that raw ability takes them to another level.

Nastasic and Eric Garcia come to mind. Clearly mature players at a young age with good football brains. Garcia started a champs league quarter final and Nastasic was our motm against Madrid, world at his feet. However, then when you properly looked at his game you think well, he’s not suddenly going to develop, strength, height or pace and he’s very one footed.

I hope to be proved wrong with Rico, local lad who seems a really nice kid. He ain’t making it at the very top as a fullback. So as an 8 in a side like ours will he suddenly develop and cut it in the long run? I’ve got my doubts because i don’t think he has an outstanding attribute. He’s very talented but he’s generally neat and tidy.
Gomez is one example. When he was younger, he was considered one of the most talented players of his generation and was selected 2nd best player at the U-17 World Cup behind Foden. However, he lacks pace, strength, and height, so we all wonder if he will ever make it with us. People look at Lewis through the rose-tinted glasses because he is local and Pep started playing him young (largely because of the Cancelo drama), but the reality is he is very short, doesn't have the physicality, and lacks pace. He is good at what usually comes with age, but he lacks the traits that are difficult to improve upon.

That Gvardiol role today - high full back playing as a winger - would’ve been perfect for Gomez.

The only issue with that he too would of had trouble with Palace's wide players.

Agreed. But it’s not like they were locked down all game so we may as well have benefitted from his attacking ability while we were at it.

Agreed. But it’s not like they were locked down all game so we may as well have benefitted from his attacking ability while we were at it.
We still created chances throughout the game. The only problem was finishing them which was partly down to their keeper, Haaland's absences and Alavrez's goal being correctly chalked off (although VAR had a good look at both our goals).

I thought he had an excellent cameo today. I know it was only 15-20 minutes, but I thought he was very active and creative, had good positioning, made a few good runs, his passing was great, and even that shot wasn't too far off. Interestingly, he played in the middle as well. He has the ability in him, and he has looked very good in some of his cameos this season. He is very underrated here. Good squad player.

Gomez, in my opinion, can do GREAT things in a City shirt. He just needs to be given the time of day for it to be allowed. It's a shame he isn't but really, who can you put him over?

In the system, can't realistically put him over either Ake or Gvardiol. If you play him on the wing, is he going to get over Doku or Grealish? I would like for him to be tried in an attacking midfield role, seems like he could perform well in it: not like there'd be anything to lose trying it in the FA Cup for at least a half.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.