23rd September 1989

Yeah. Wasn't the rumour at the time that O'Neill got those tickets directly from someone in a senior admin role at City.
The story I had always heard was that it was from a red working in our ticket office who was sacked as a result. Certainly it was known about for a week or two before around Manchester that they were planning something in the north stand. I think the amount of regular ‘civilian’ punters willing to give them a few slaps and stand their ground came as a surprise to them, they couldn’t get out of there fast enough once it went off

Yes, it is a bit small-time. I’d be surprised if the Rags have a 5-0 thread over on Red Issue celebrating the anniversary of that 1994 game.

In 1989 United were shit and were NOWHERE NEAR the club they were looked upon to be in the decades after. United were an average club through the 70s and 80s who won the odd Cup and weren’t even the last Manchester club to win the league title. Both of us finished in the bottom half that season, in 13th and 14th level on 48 points. It’s like Wolves beating Palace 5-1 now. The rest of the league probably didn’t even look twice.

But it was a derby and for us on the day in the weeks after it was fucking mint!
Tbf they fielded what was at the time the most expensive team ever assembled on that day

The story I had always heard was that it was from a red working in our ticket office who was sacked as a result. Certainly it was known about for a week or two before around Manchester that they were planning something in the north stand. I think the amount of regular ‘civilian’ punters willing to give them a few slaps and stand their ground came as a surprise to them, they couldn’t get out of there fast enough once it went off
I remember the Kippax in 85, hundreds of the knob ends in there as well, until it kicked off a few minutes after the game started.
They seemed to want to get out and onto the side of the pitch pretty sharpish that game as well

Yes, it is a bit small-time. I’d be surprised if the Rags have a 5-0 thread over on Red Issue celebrating the anniversary of that 1994 game.

In 1989 United were shit and were NOWHERE NEAR the club they were looked upon to be in the decades after. United were an average club through the 70s and 80s who won the odd Cup and weren’t even the last Manchester club to win the league title. Both of us finished in the bottom half that season, in 13th and 14th level on 48 points. It’s like Wolves beating Palace 5-1 now. The rest of the league probably didn’t even look twice.

But it was a derby and for us on the day in the weeks after it was fucking mint!
Is it fuck small time, growing up in Salford it was all us blues (3 in my year) at school had over them until the last derby at Maine Road! I was 5 years old when we beat them in 89' so had to wait 13 years to see us beat them bastards again!

Is it fuck small time, growing up in Salford it was all us blues (3 in my year) at school had over them until the last derby at Maine Road! I was 5 years old when we beat them in 89' so had to wait 13 years to see us beat them bastards again!
Spot on.
It was my 18th birthday when we beat the rags the previous time before the 5-1
21st Feb 1981 Steve MacKenzie in the Platt Lane End 1-0
So I was 26 - 8 years later- when we beat them again.
Fergie's team cost about £13m and City's team £3m
We had 5 lads from the 1986 FA Cup youth team (Redmond, Hinchcliffe, Lake, White and Brightwell) in the side.
We humiliated the twats that day. The Rags who remained were calling for Bacon to be sacked!
It was 2002 before we beat the twats again so from 1981 to 2002 this day was our only shining light. And boy did that light shine

No, clearly not. It was a great win against our bitter rivals and undoubtedly memorable. It may be worth pointing out on milestone anniversaries. But doing the ritual every year seems a bit too much. Each to their own.
It's a bit of fun mate and a chance to rub it in with the red mardarses.
Fuck me have a sit down pal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.