23rd September 1989

Yep, you're indeed correct, I remember it now, coming on the back of so many goals.

And I was one of the 17,000 at that Huddersfield game!

People might not remember the week before the 5-1, United had actually walloped Millwall by five goals at home!!
& were chanting during that win ‘City are next, City are next whoa whoa’

The 2nd goal was bedlam,
Delirium is about right. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that same sense of breathless hysteria that I experienced when the 2nd went in that day. Truly amazing scenes. Even Yaya’s SF winner or Sergio’s goal weren’t quite the same - must be to do with being young I suppose.

85 we lost 3-0, my first derby. Think that was part of them their winning first 10 games of the season under Atkinson when he claimed they’d win the league by Christmas, which of course they didn’t :)
That was the previous season. We drew the following season (‘86/87) when McCarthy scored that amazing header, to which @tolmie's hairdoo was referring.

You are correct about that game being in the middle of that great start to the season that united had in ‘85/86.

I went to away game on a coach from Stockport the week before. I can't remember who it was against but someone mentioned Brentford in an earlier post. There was a few days holidays to use up from work so I booked time off for the match.

Anyway a lad on our coach said there would be trouble, he'd heard the Rags had got hold of 200 seats, not sure where from. So I wasn't surprised when it kicked off.

That was the previous season. We drew the following season (‘86/87) when McCarthy scored that amazing header, to which @tolmie's hairdoo was referring.

You are correct about that game being in the middle of that great start to the season that united had in ‘85/86.
Was there for both. That big Mick goal was a belting header. Right in front of my seat in the middle of the NS I seem to recall

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.