23rd September 1989

Believe it or not, I went to both those games (dad took me to united v Millwall, who I was cheering for, obvs) Remember being amazed that Terry Hurlock was a professional footballer!

Terry Hurlock, I went to see him make his debut for Rangers!

I remember the Millwall win because they had been giving it the big one all week.

That summer with Knighton they had spent £1.8m on Ince, £2.3m on Pallister, £4m on Webb, £1.5m on Wallace.

Broke every transfer record going that summer.

So funny that Knighton didn't even have the cash!

Great day

Knew it would be a good one when the teams were announced - David White up against donkey Donaghy

However, if it had not kicked off due to pigs being in North Stand & the match being stopped it could have been a different outcome as the rags were on top at the time

TBH still prefer the 5-1 scoreline to any other
Don't think City got a kick of the ball before the match was stopped and the players taken off ?
We were big underdogs as City's youngsters had not really cemented themselves as established 1st division players.
Also David Oldfield had not been much of a threat before this game ?
Remember a big Trafford Tinkers lad from Rusholme mouthing off on the Kippax when they were on top, before the match was stopped.
He didn't stay in the ground for long...

My first derby was actually at Old Toilet, saw us lose in the FA Cup 1-0 to a Whiteside goal :(

My first Maine Road derby was 85 when Big Mick towered in a header to earn us a 1-1 draw.

But to go in the Kippax for a derby game for the first time, and see us win for the first time also, you never forget stuff like that, eh?
Yeah, fantastic day. I was at the Charlton game in 85 but that game had more of a party type atmosphere but this there was a real sense of hostilitiy and hatred. It was almost intoxicating, scary bit such an adrenaline rush!

Mentioned this a few times but my dad was a bus driver and was on the football special that day. On the bus coming down Oxford road the bus was absolutely rocking! Brilliant day and the chant is still brilliant about that day.

"One two"
"One two three"
"One two three four"
"Five one!"

Yeah, fantastic day. I was at the Charlton game in 85 but that game had more of a party type atmosphere but this there was a real sense of hostilitiy and hatred. It was almost intoxicating, scary bit such an adrenaline rush!

Mentioned this a few times but my dad was a bus driver and was on the football special that day. On the bus coming down Oxford road the bus was absolutely rocking! Brilliant day and the chant is still brilliant about that day.

"One two"
"One two three"
"One two three four"
"Five one!"

My dad wouldn't let me go to the Charlton game, said I was too young (10!)

What he really meant was he wanted to go on the piss with his mates that day.

I still remember him coming home the day Luton sent us down and not really understanding the magnitude of that result at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.