25 | Manuel Akanji - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s lucky that most weeks we don’t have to do any defending. Soft as shit, can’t head a ball and runs around like a headless chicken. Looks decent against sides who don’t step foot in our half. 5th choice CB playing every week. Fantastic.

Of all problems we have I don’t think Akanji is one of them.
He is though. We are used to decisive quick passing from the back and he doesn’t have that in his game. He dillydallies on the ball far too much.

He can’t run and can’t jump either (lost all but 1 of 14 aerial duels in one game), and seems to get bullied in games he doesn’t play well in.

Not saying he’s on par with peak Stones Laporte and Dias.

But i am not convinced that if any of those 3 played today things will have been a lot different.

Our problem is lack of urgency and pace.

Not saying he’s on par with peak Stones Laporte and Dias.

But i am not convinced that if any of those 3 played today things will have been a lot different.

Our problem is lack of urgency and pace.
at least laporte has a very good pass in him

Akanji isn’t the problem. We know he’s shit and he probably knows he’s shit too. The problem is Stones’ fitness plus whatever issue is preventing Pep from picking Dias and Laporte.

Having to play him regularly is absolutely one of our problems
Akanji is a serviceable backup with room to grow. But he’s not as commanding on the ball as Stones, as strong in the air as Ake, as forward looking as Laporte or as much a leader as Dias

Which begs the question, what happened to the three that should be starting in front of him? Or the manager that refuses to start them? Or the recruitment policy that lead to him becoming a starter?

Overall I’m not going to blame him for this performance, he did what he could do - and had a few moments of quality. But he’s our fifth choice at that position and is playing every game. It makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.