#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he lost confidence that have at beginning of the season then found himself bunched

Inconsistent!

He’s not given the runs of games to play himself into form. In one week, plays well, then straight out the next week and when he comes back he’s poor.

Against low blocks and tight defences, Bernardo is not much better on the right either. The problem with majority of left-footed inverted wingers is that they are one trick ponies. Plus, in Pep's system, the right inverted winger is more about retaining the ball in tight spaces near the touchline which opens up spaces in the middle. That's why Pep wanted Mahrez because he's got unbelievably good ball control and technique in general. We also rely a lot on crosses and having a left-footed inverted winger on the right allows to whip a ball into the box when we create overload on the opposite side and we have 3-4 players in the box.

Plan B is Sane on the left and Sterling on the right but we can't use it now for obvious reasons.

This was supposed to be his big year wasn't it? I think he doesn't offer enough - inconsistent, lack of pace, tends to be a bit greedy - thinking about it you can often see his teammates stop as they know no through ball is coming - I also think his selection has had the effect of rotating Bernardo and also Raheem playing on the left. For me I was hoping he would be the key against teams defending deep but so far he has struggled. I can't think of a game for us like those he played at Leicester when he looked dangerous every time he got on the ball. Like SWP when he went to Chelsea sometimes a move means a player goes sideways. I would sell him and look for a player who has pace and can effect games more consistently - Haaland perhaps.

I don’t know how much he should even come in for criticism considering we barely played down his side, but what’s clear at a minimum is that he isn’t providing nearly the amount of competition that should be expected for a player of his stature (and fee).

Peps sides need one thing above all and that is work rate and the hunger to attack and defend regardless of who you are.

Make your own mind up as to whether he has it or not?

For me its a no.
Spot on. He’s technically able but has no heart and looks like he plays for himself to me

An expensive Andros Townsend tbh, doesn't offer what we need in a winger, which is raw pace in behind and the ability too fire low crosses across for tap ins. You know exactly what he's going to do, but even if you don't stop him doing it he'll probably miss anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.