#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's definitely encouraged to take risks - and it's vital that we have players that do that.

The shooting needs to stop though - he had more shots in the league than any other City player, and was just outside the top 10 for shots in the Premier League this season.

That's absolutely crazy for a player who very rarely has a touch in the six yard box, and who has only scored 7 league goals in 9 top flight seasons. Everyone above him was in double figures for this season alone.
If you don't try you won't succeed. I know there has to be a balance but does any stats expert know how many goals are scored from deflected shots and how many handball penalties are awarded from shots at goal.

If you don't try you won't succeed. I know there has to be a balance but does any stats expert know how many goals are scored from deflected shots and how many handball penalties are awarded from shots at goal.
Most of his shots are either misses, or blocked outside the box - anything on target and deflected would be a goal for Cancelo.

I agree that we get a lot of goals from deflections etc., but this isn't just the odd pot shot - he's having more shots than nearly everyone in the league.

Son won the Golden Boot with just 5 more shots all season than Cancelo and his one goal.

De Bruyne scored 15 from less shots. Sterling, had 57 shots and scored 13 - Scoring with 23% of his shots. Cancelo scored with 1% of his shots.

I love Cancelo, and think he's one of our best players. I think he's a great recovery defender, a brilliant risk-taking attacker, and one of our most exciting and talented players, but the risk/reward of all those long range shots is way, way out of balance.

Every neutral seems to think he’s been the best left back of the season in the PL? Is bluemoon too harsh or is he just plain overrated?

He is a great match of the day player. His great play is highlight worthy and his mistakes are mostly positional or decision making which get less attention in highlights packages.

Most of his shots are either misses, or blocked outside the box - anything on target and deflected would be a goal for Cancelo.

I agree that we get a lot of goals from deflections etc., but this isn't just the odd pot shot - he's having more shots than nearly everyone in the league.

Son won the Golden Boot with just 5 more shots all season than Cancelo and his one goal.

De Bruyne scored 15 from less shots. Sterling, had 57 shots and scored 13 - Scoring with 23% of his shots. Cancelo scored with 1% of his shots.

I love Cancelo, and think he's one of our best players. I think he's a great recovery defender, a brilliant risk-taking attacker, and one of our most exciting and talented players, but the risk/reward of all those long range shots is way, way out of balance.
How many shots did it take Rodri to score his goals out if curiosity?

He has season within a season where he is sensational but then he drops off.
That season within a season period sees us take momentum and go clear at top. A bit more consistency will help
I think a lot of that is down to fatigue.

He played a lot of games this last season, brilliant up to the new year, then fatigue kicked in and the inconsistency returned.

When he is good he is brilliant but when he is off his game, he can be a liability.

His fitness and form is one of the best as he must be one of the players with the most games played this season so far (59 games with 5244 minutes played) and he's still making sprints and runs from one box to another like it's the beginning of the season, and after he was the 2 second left/right back with the most distance covered in the premier league(14th overall).
One thing that can't thrown against him it's his workrate, i think he works really hard. It's just that sometimes he lacks the intensity in some periods of the games, adding to the that the decreasing in concentration that often happens and some poor decision making. Natural physically and technically wise he's really gifted, but if he improved in those things he would be one of the best ever at this role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.