#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cancelo is put in a position where he's going to be over scrutinized at times.

He's clearly instructed to take risks with the ball. When it doesn't come off, it can look brutal, but he's capable of magic at any moment so you have to give him that leash.

The defending can be improved, but I wouldn't say he's poor defensively. The biggest issue is he played too much this year, I think. He might have led us in all minutes as an outfield player?

Maybe he’s not the greatest defensively but what he offers offensively negates that some of his passing is WTF ..as a few have posted has had to play a lot more than possibly required due to injuries,and maybe that’s taken it’s toll slightly on him,but I’d rather have him in the side than not …

I know i'll get pelters for this as everyone's in celebration mode but I wouldn't be sad in the slightest if he was sold.

Zinchenko was brilliant yesterday but at least 50% of that was that he simply wasn't Cancelo, who'd spent an hour cocking everything up and picking the worst option at all times.

He's capable of some great moments but all too rarely do they actually result in a goal or an assist. He's a complete liability defensively, not only is he not great at it but shows very little interest in trying - as others pointed out Pep had to send multiple players over to keep him in position yesterday when we only needed to see out the game for 5 minutes to win the league. 5 fucking minutes! And he couldn't do what he was told!!

So he will never get picked ahead of Walker at RB. As a left back by taking up the inside left position what he really does is force Foden or Grealish out wide onto the touchline where they're often lost and out of the game. Id much rather the LB was getting chalk on his boots and our best players were in the dangerous positions around the box, and if they did swap positions I'd bet they come up with a lot more moments of magic than he does.

I think Cancelo is put in a position where he's going to be over scrutinized at times.

He's clearly instructed to take risks with the ball. When it doesn't come off, it can look brutal, but he's capable of magic at any moment so you have to give him that leash.

The defending can be improved, but I wouldn't say he's poor defensively. The biggest issue is he played too much this year, I think. He might have led us in all minutes as an outfield player?
Yeah, I was thinking about this last night. As much as I hate a lot of what he does. Taking unnecessary shots, the unwarranted feigns or unneeded dribbles... All of which do my head in.

I recognized in the moment that him being one of the few who constantly goes against Pep's mantra of possession at all cost... His risk taking was actually the key to our 3 goal yesterday, and also unlocked the ball Rodri skied just a couple of minutes earlier.

So I've come to the conclusion that he is a plus if we are behind and chasing a game. But he isn't the best when we are initially feeling the opposition out.

I don't really know to be honest.... He is an enigma... I hate and love him all at the same time. :)

I know i'll get pelters for this as everyone's in celebration mode but I wouldn't be sad in the slightest if he was sold.

Zinchenko was brilliant yesterday but at least 50% of that was that he simply wasn't Cancelo, who'd spent an hour cocking everything up and picking the worst option at all times.

He's capable of some great moments but all too rarely do they actually result in a goal or an assist. He's a complete liability defensively, not only is he not great at it but shows very little interest in trying - as others pointed out Pep had to send multiple players over to keep him in position yesterday when we only needed to see out the game for 5 minutes to win the league. 5 fucking minutes! And he couldn't do what he was told!!

So he will never get picked ahead of Walker at RB. As a left back by taking up the inside left position what he really does is force Foden or Grealish out wide onto the touchline where they're often lost and out of the game. Id much rather the LB was getting chalk on his boots and our best players were in the dangerous positions around the box, and if they did swap positions I'd bet they come up with a lot more moments of magic than he does.
His contract extension proves the club is happy for Cancelo to stick around and there aren't many perfect Left Backs better that are currently available. Although Cucrella would be welcomed cover but it is ridiculous to suggest he will replace Cancelo.

Last edited:
His contract extension proves the club is happy for Cancelo to stick around and there aren't many perfect Left Backs better that are currently available. Although Cucrella would be welcomed cover but it is ridiculous to suggest he will replace Cancelo.
Cucurella if purchased would be number 1 left back. Cancelo would then be cover for rotation and injuries IMO.

Cucurella if purchased would be number 1 left back. Cancelo would then be cover for rotation and injuries IMO.
Not by a long chalk Cancelo beats Cucurella hands down. Cucuella might be the better defender (although not by much from what I have seen) but the rest of his game Cancelo wins hands down. And if that did happen he will be back at a Barcelona before you can say Eric Garcia if he was that good.

Last edited:
Haha some of you blokes are amazing. Who the hell do you think you are, seriously?

The Premier League's left back of the season, and one of 8 nominees for EPL player of the season (one of only 2 defenders nominated together with TAA) ... and some of you clueless fools are actively hoping he gets sold so that you can buy and play a Brighton left back instead.

He and Bernardo were the 2 players winning City games by themselves for the first half of the season until KDB hit his stride. How quickly that is forgotten. The absolute fact of the matter is that without Cancelo, City do not win the league this season.

He's an absolute superstar and those hoping for him to be replaced have no idea.

Terrible defender. Gives the ball away for fun and never stops a ball going into the box. Good job he’s so dangerous going forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.