#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think you're helping your case here because you've reminded everyone that Cancelo was absolutely shite in the CL game vs Dortmund so Pep dropped him for the second leg - after which Pep criticised our build up play down the left, then took him off really early vs. PSG when we were playing terribly and Zinchenko was so instrumental in our better play he kept his place for the second leg and final.

So he started 2 of the 5 big knockout games, and one of those he got hauled off just after half time.

Cancelo was a first-choice FB for the majority of the season, up to April, why deny that? By the time he started to lose form we were 14 pts clear in the league. He was part of an excellent defence which started to keep clean sheets already in November. He was largely excellent up to March/April and was voted in the PFA team of the season for a reason.

Cancelo lost form in the final 1-2 months, as I already pointed out several times, and had some poor games. Rodri was the same. What does this imply about Rodri if we follow your logic? Several poor games in April/May didn't define Rodri's season or his actual level. Same with Cancelo.

Anyway, Pep will continue to pick him as long as he's on form. We need his creativity now that we play without a striker and Kevin is in poor form. He's been one of our better players so far.

It actually wasn't, but I think sometimes people only see what they want to see.

He made a couple of positional errors, as did a lot of the players in the first half. Hardly worth being singled out for.

On two occasions Rodri and Foden both had to run back and make last-ditch tackles because Cancelo wasn't even trying to get back in.

Positional or not, it was a lack of desire and the main reason Bruges kept getting in down the left.

At one stage, Pep was screaming at him for making a no-look volleyed pass across the midfield with his back to the actual play.

He can't defend.

He's feeding the highest scoring attack in the country since he's been here and until last night was averaging an assist every 13 games...

I know people get frustrated with our attack but it's better than 99% of the rest.

Fair enough. Do maintain he would have more assists though with better forwards!

On two occasions Rodri and Foden both had to run back and make last-ditch tackles because Cancelo wasn't even trying to get back in.

Positional or not, it was a lack of desire and the main reason Bruges kept getting in down the left.

At one stage, Pep was screaming at him for making a no-look volleyed pass across the midfield with his back to the actual play.

He can't defend.
Lol

He can't defend.

I concur.

All the threat Brugge provided including the goal came down Cancelo's side

I watched our highlights on the computer before and read the comments (I’m bored).

Loads of fans of other clubs, even Utd fans, saying he’s absolutely brilliant and a world class full back. Probably basing their entire opinions on the highlights reel.

A few City fans saying they went to the game and he was terrible at defending.

I watched our highlights on the computer before and read the comments (I’m bored).

Loads of fans of other clubs, even Utd fans, saying he’s absolutely brilliant and a world class full back. Probably basing their entire opinions on the highlights reel.

A few City fans saying they went to the game and he was terrible at defending.
It basically comes down to the individual fan as to wherever they accept his game is based on high risk/reward. For some a traditional fullback will always be a better option than a player like Cancelo.
Personally I’m happy to take the good with the bad but understand why he’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

It basically comes down to the individual fan as to wherever they accept his game is based on high risk/reward. For some a traditional fullback will always be a better option than a player like Cancelo.
Personally I’m happy to take the good with the bad but understand why he’s not everybody’s cup of tea.
I really like the guy, him and that youngster at the bin dippers are two of a kind in the Prem with their abilities to assist and create.

He’s great to have in the squad because as good as Walker is, having 3 similar players to him doesn’t give you the diversity of talents needed for different scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.