27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

It's like Mahrez all over again. Fans shitting all over him and him being in shock in awe.. his first goal will probably make him feel he belongs here!
if only he was like Mahrez - same physcality where it counts but no where near the skill !

if only he was like Mahrez - same physcality where it counts but no where near the skill !
Different skill sets...Mahrez has an immaculate touch and is a technician in tight space with above average finishing skills...Nunes can turn and dribble at pace at an entirely different level...he has yet to show any consistent finishing skills. Nunes can play in much deeper positions on the pitch.
Bottom line, Mahrez reached the heights as a bona fide top player...it remains to be seen what level Nunes reaches...

Different skill sets...Mahrez has an immaculate touch and is a technician in tight space with above average finishing skills...Nunes can turn and dribble at pace at an entirely different level...he has yet to show any consistent finishing skills. Nunes can play in much deeper positions on the pitch.
Bottom line, Mahrez reached the heights as a bona fide top player...it remains to be seen what level Nunes reaches...

Again, it's a bit unfair to compare, maybe. With Mahrez we were getting a former PFA Player of the Year. Not too much risk there. Nunes hasn't achieved anything like that, either with his previous club or, so far, with us — and he almost certainly won't, because Mahrez had a stellar season that year with Leicester. I still remember watching him play us off the park, from the South Stand (although I've done my best to erase that memory).

I think his ceiling is higher than what we've seen so far, and in general, I just wish that people (on here and at the Etihad) would give players a chance before piling on to judge them. They have one really good game, they're “brilliant”, they have one really bad one they're “shit”. No. Just no.

It's like Mahrez all over again. Fans shitting all over him and him being in shock in awe.. his first goal will probably make him feel he belongs here!
Like Mahrez he came into the top level fairly late and if Nunes gets anywhere near the level of Mahrez he will be a hell of a signing.

Without wishing to disrespect anyone on this forum, we wonder if some people really know football and learn from the past. Since I've been following this forum (it's been a few years now), I always read the same impatient people making the same mistakes and not understanding that it takes time to adapt when you play in a Pep team except when your name is Erling Haaland or Ruben Dias. All the players had difficulties in their early years and the best example is Rodri, whom some people here had the nerve to call Plodri. It's exactly the same people who still don't understand how soccer works who come every year to spew their gratuitous venom at our players because they don't express their full potential in their first season. Having said that, I have absolutely no doubts about Matheus Nunes, who has the potential to become a word class player, and I stress the word potential, because in football you can never be 100% sure of anything. For me, he has more potential than Gundogan for example (that doesn't mean he'll do better than him, I'm ONLY talking about his potential). He's quicker, a better dribbler, but he's still got a long way to go in terms of game intelligence (maybe that'll come in time). He's sorely lacking in self-confidence at the moment, but the potential is MONSTROUS.
What is funny is that if Paqueta had been signed(some blame Nunes for being signed instead), he would be facing the same blame that some people are making at Nunes.
Some will never learn from their mistakes
Soccer ? It is football

Without wishing to disrespect anyone on this forum, we wonder if some people really know football and learn from the past. Since I've been following this forum (it's been a few years now), I always read the same impatient people making the same mistakes and not understanding that it takes time to adapt when you play in a Pep team except when your name is Erling Haaland or Ruben Dias. All the players had difficulties in their early years and the best example is Rodri, whom some people here had the nerve to call Plodri. It's exactly the same people who still don't understand how soccer works who come every year to spew their gratuitous venom at our players because they don't express their full potential in their first season. Having said that, I have absolutely no doubts about Matheus Nunes, who has the potential to become a word class player, and I stress the word potential, because in football you can never be 100% sure of anything. For me, he has more potential than Gundogan for example (that doesn't mean he'll do better than him, I'm ONLY talking about his potential). He's quicker, a better dribbler, but he's still got a long way to go in terms of game intelligence (maybe that'll come in time). He's sorely lacking in self-confidence at the moment, but the potential is MONSTROUS.
What is funny is that if Paqueta had been signed(some blame Nunes for being signed instead), he would be facing the same blame that some people are making at Nunes.
Some will never learn from their mistakes
Take the blue specs off for a moment and ask yourself was he on your radar before we signed him ?
You're right about one thing though (some people never learn from mistakes).
Just because City sign him it doesn't necessarily mean he's a world beater no more than it means he's useless.
We might see him once or twice more this season hardly a glowing endorsement from Pep.

Take the blue specs off for a moment and ask yourself was he on your radar before we signed him ?
You're right about one thing though (some people never learn from mistakes).
Just because City sign him it doesn't necessarily mean he's a world beater no more than it means he's useless.
We might see him once or twice more this season hardly a glowing endorsement from Pep.
Actually, there gave been quite a few players not on our radar that became great players. Not sure Gundy was on our radar really - or Rodri?

Actually, there gave been quite a few players not on our radar that became great players. Not sure Gundy was on our radar really - or Rodri?

Gundogan was the first signing under Pep. Very much a Pep recommendation.

Anyone who watched Spanish football knew Rodri was a good player, Simeone and Pep both know a thing or two about defensive midfield. Nobody, even in Spain, thought Rodri had this high of a ceiling and I think it's a testament to the coaching of Pep.

Nunes, in my opinion, will be gone in 12 months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.