28 Years Ago Today

Santiago Street

Notts County away Bank Holiday Monday the first away game my old man let me go to without him.

If we won we were up. 12000 blues invaded Meadow Lane, most of them pissed as fuck on a boiling hot day. The terrace behind the goal was way overcrowded , massive surges all over the place, fantastic atmosphere.

In typical City style we were 3-0 down pretty quickly I think. Cue fences ripped down, pitch invasion, mounted police, fights everywhere, general fuckin chaos. I have a vague recollection, possibly imagined of Billy McNeill and Jimmy Frizz coming out to calm the fans down.

We lost 3-2 but that set us up for the unforgettable Charlton game the following Saturday

Aaah the good old days

The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?

We cocked it up big style in another end of season game close to that,1988 i think.We only had to beat Bournemouth at home to be promoted.3-0 up at half time the party started,only for Bournemouth,inspired by Ian Bishop and Luther Blissett to fight back and draw 3-3 with an injury time penalty,meaning we had to get a draw at Bradford on the last day which we did....just!!

paulchapo said:
The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?

We cocked it up big style in another end of season game close to that,1988 i think.We only had to beat Bournemouth at home to be promoted.3-0 up at half time the party started,only for Bournemouth,inspired by Ian Bishop and Luther Blissett to fight back and draw 3-3 with an injury time penalty,meaning we had to get a draw at Bradford on the last day which we did....just!!

Bournemouth was 24 years ago today plus the yaya show at Newcastle 1 year ago today

Santiago Street . said:
Notts County away Bank Holiday Monday the first away game my old man let me go to without him.

If we won we were up. 12000 blues invaded Meadow Lane, most of them pissed as fuck on a boiling hot day. The terrace behind the goal was way overcrowded , massive surges all over the place, fantastic atmosphere.

In typical City style we were 3-0 down pretty quickly I think. Cue fences ripped down, pitch invasion, mounted police, fights everywhere, general fuckin chaos. I have a vague recollection, possibly imagined of Billy McNeill and Jimmy Frizz coming out to calm the fans down.

We lost 3-2 but that set us up for the unforgettable Charlton game the following Saturday

Aaah the good old days
Billy Mac definitely tried to calm the baying mob down. On a mic iirc. Can't imagine Jimmy Frizz having much impact in that regard.

Open terraces are only good for about three games a season, but this was one of them.

Glad we lost this one, as without it, we wouldn't have had the wonderful experience of Charlton the following week along with its 57,000 err... sorry 47,000 crowd.

I was at Notts County that day , and yes , thousands of City fans were there ..... what a chaotic day , i'll bet Meadow Lane has never seen an away following like it.

But we managed to fluff the game , it was always likely that we would ..... we only woke up when we were three goals down.

It is wierd because up to the Q.P.R game last season we seemed to have banished our self destruct button but that game until our two late goals was as bad as any of the other nightmares,it just thankfully had a happy ending,lol!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.