3 English (or HG) players

Guardiola seems to prefer a core squad of 16-17 players backed up by youngsters, so I don't think we'll be looking at having a team of 23-24 senior players like we have in the past, if players like Gunn, Garcia, Nacho, Maffeo and Roberts (or similar) have a more active role in the squad getting 4 HG shouldn't be too high on our list of priorities (the first 4 above qualify for club trained eventually).

I don't think that Pep will be thinking like he did at Bayern/Barca here in terms of squad size. Seems he is accepting that he will need a slightly bigger squad because of the lack of rest period halfway through the season. The problem we currently have is a lack of adequate 'squad' options in certain areas. Hence an overreliance on KDB/Silva/Toure and Sterling/Sane.

How that tallies with balancing the squad in the summer will be interesting. I appreciate there's an 'ideal' in simply promoting players for the purposes of the H/G requirements but I don't see us doing that. We've already been compromised this season in terms of quality and so I think there's little chance that we'll repeat the mistake next season. That means you can scratch IMO Roberts and Nacho from your list as neither will be at the club.

We'll require 4 from the academy and 4 association trained. My guess is that the 4 association trained will all be at a similar level (Sterling/Stones types who are first teamers) and of the 4 academy trained players it's anyone's guess which 4 will be with us next season. Could be any from Foden, Sancho, Diaz, Maffeo, Gunn, Garcia, and Tosin.

So that means I think we'll buy two H/G players this summer who will be first teamers. At a guess I'd say it'll be one of Rose/Bertrand/Alli + Pickford.

I don't think that Pep will be thinking like he did at Bayern/Barca here in terms of squad size. Seems he is accepting that he will need a slightly bigger squad because of the lack of rest period halfway through the season. The problem we currently have is a lack of adequate 'squad' options in certain areas. Hence an overreliance on KDB/Silva/Toure and Sterling/Sane.

How that tallies with balancing the squad in the summer will be interesting. I appreciate there's an 'ideal' in simply promoting players for the purposes of the H/G requirements but I don't see us doing that. We've already been compromised this season in terms of quality and so I think there's little chance that we'll repeat the mistake next season. That means you can scratch IMO Roberts and Nacho from your list as neither will be at the club.

We'll require 4 from the academy and 4 association trained. My guess is that the 4 association trained will all be at a similar level (Sterling/Stones types who are first teamers) and of the 4 academy trained players it's anyone's guess which 4 will be with us next season. Could be any from Foden, Sancho, Diaz, Maffeo, Gunn, Garcia, and Tosin.

So that means I think we'll buy two H/G players this summer who will be first teamers. At a guess I'd say it'll be one of Rose/Bertrand/Alli + Pickford.
Don't see the hype about Pickford, he's no better than Gunn, he's just been given a chance.

Don't see the hype about Pickford, he's no better than Gunn, he's just been given a chance.

You do love our EDS kids. ;) I've not seen enough of Gunn to make a call on him but what I've seen of Pickford I've really liked. It's also true that City were in the process of negotiating his transfer when he was injured at the end of December so my guess is that Pep likes him.

You do love our EDS kids. ;) I've not seen enough of Gunn to make a call on him but what I've seen of Pickford I've really liked. It's also true that City were in the process of negotiating his transfer when he was injured at the end of December so my guess is that Pep likes him.
Gunn was ahead at underage level iirc so no reason to assume he wasn't the better keeper.

Gunn was ahead at underage level iirc so no reason to assume he wasn't the better keeper.

That seems a stretch. Couldn't Pickford have improved in the last 12/18 months? Whether that's due to exposure to the first team is a different argument, but if he's doing it at PL level then it stands to reason he's progressed further than Gunn, even if it's just due to the chances he's had.

I've spent the last couple of years thinking that certain EDS players would get a chance and they haven't. Those names who have been around a while, and Gunn is one of them, I can only assume is because they aren't good enough as harsh as that my sound. My gut tells me Maffeo is in the same boat, Angelino too. From that generation (the one above Foden/Sancho etc), Garcia's the only one who I think will have a chance of making it long term.

That seems a stretch. Couldn't Pickford have improved in the last 12/18 months? Whether that's due to exposure to the first team is a different argument, but if he's doing it at PL level then it stands to reason he's progressed further than Gunn, even if it's just due to the chances he's had.

I've spent the last couple of years thinking that certain EDS players would get a chance and they haven't. Those names who have been around a while, and Gunn is one of them, I can only assume is because they aren't good enough as harsh as that my sound. My gut tells me Maffeo is in the same boat, Angelino too. From that generation (the one above Foden/Sancho etc), Garcia's the only one who I think will have a chance of making it long term.
Your gut is telling you the wrong thing with Maffeo, don't know where to find the interview but Guardiola as good as said he only played Zaba ahead of him out of respect and he's never looked out of place in the first team in the few chances he's had, I expect him to be the back up right back next season and he'll push for first choice regardless of who we sign. Angelino has never learned to defend, he'd be a liability as a premier league left back and isn't talented enough to play on the wing, I'd expect him to move on this summer or shortly after. Garcia is top class already and needs to be played more.

I can guarantee you that Gunn was told, early doors, that Pep really rates him highly. However, things can change and, if Gunn makes it to be starter for City he will first have to nail down the back-up spot but to whom that would be is anyone's guess at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.