3 | Ruben Dias - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this isn't the start of recurring injuries.

With antivax stones and laportes injury keeping them off the tour, all of a sudden Ake is the sr centre half in preseason.

What kids do we have to play CB other than mbete who is also left footed? Or will it be rodri and Ake tonight (is it tonight? What is Texas, seven hour difference to us??)

One of my favourite players for many reasons but there are 2 aspects of his game from last season and in this game that concern me:

1. He seems to get dragged out of position easily upfield so others have to come across and fill in the space.

2. When he is defending a one-on-one he has a habit of jockeying the attacker back 10-15 meters, instead of pressuring the opposite player harder outside of the box. Once they're near the box it's much more dangerous with conceding penalties and shots on target.

Tonight Ake was doing a great job closing that space almost immediately. He seems a lot more aggressive which I like.

Does anyone else notice this or have I got this completely wrong?

2. When he is defending a one-on-one he has a habit of jockeying the attacker back 10-15 meters, instead of pressuring the opposite player harder outside of the box. Once they're near the box it's much more dangerous with conceding penalties and shots on target.
This is textbook defending 101, every young defender is taught this for a simple reason. If your defending a 1v1, jockey the attacker to slow him down to give your team time to come back and get in there defensive shape.

You absolutely DO NOT aggressively go in, because if they get past you from your attempt, they have a free chance against the keeper.

I do not understand what you mean by saying he should instead pressure the opposite player?

Sometimes centerbacks come in pairs where in you have one who is more a leader and stays back, while the other pushes forward aggressively to intercept passes to a striker and will commit as well, so maybe that's what your referring to instead.

This is textbook defending 101, every young defender is taught this for a simple reason. If your defending a 1v1, jockey the attacker to slow him down to give your team time to come back and get in there defensive shape.

You absolutely DO NOT aggressively go in, because if they get past you from your attempt, they have a free chance against the keeper.

I do not understand what you mean by saying he should instead pressure the opposite player?

Sometimes centerbacks come in pairs where in you have one who is more a leader and stays back, while the other pushes forward aggressively to intercept passes to a striker and will commit as well, so maybe that's what your referring to instead.

Exactly. Slow them down, narrow their shooting angle, force them wide and/or onto their weaker foot, and if you're very lucky you might be able to stick a toe in and nick the ball on occasion

I think our defenders are generally pretty good at judging when to defend on the front foot and when to try and hold attackers up instead. Certainly compared to Otamendi or even Kompany, who could both be extremely rash and overcommit in those situations

Said last season that this lad was carried by Stones' calmness, assuredness on the ball and aerial dominance. Yet Stones has seemingly been relegated to almost 4th choice whilst Dias got all the plaudits

he needs to be back to his debut season form. growing number of mistakes in big games.

Reactions: JDV
dias and ake just dont work together, he is much better alongside stones, awful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.