30 Years Ago Today

OP is 100% correct.Was there myself that day.If memories serve me
right we went on to win next 4 games.As a young lad, that was a
great season, even though we got so close yet so far..............

Gary James said:
I interviewed Bond about this a few years ago for Manchester The Greatest City and he said: "We lost the first game through a penalty in the last minute against Birmingham, but from then on we climbed and I won the Manager of the Month award for November & December. That set us off."

He also said "To be honest any fool could have turned them around to some extent."
for some strange reason i really liked jb and the 6-0 win against norwich sticks out as a turning point for me, still love watching the old film granada made about city when allison and book got sacked and bond took over .classic

lancs blue said:
30 years ago - makes me feel old!!
Me too mate. When I first read the OP I thought "no way is that 30 years ago" then a quick check said it was. Bloody hell.<br /><br />-- Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm --<br /><br />
bluewales said:
Gary James said:
I interviewed Bond about this a few years ago for Manchester The Greatest City and he said: "We lost the first game through a penalty in the last minute against Birmingham, but from then on we climbed and I won the Manager of the Month award for November & December. That set us off."

He also said "To be honest any fool could have turned them around to some extent."
for some strange reason i really liked jb and the 6-0 win against norwich sticks out as a turning point for me, still love watching the old film granada made about city when allison and book got sacked and bond took over .classic

Yeah thought of this when saw this post. Look at the difference between football management then and now. Remember the scene with Bond talking to the whole squad saying "you'll where club blazer, club tie, shirt" etc. Can you imagine telling the players that now. Or even better Bond trying to tell them that - "Manu you are not allowed to wear your baseball cap, Nigel no more hoodies, no one wearing headphones".

30 years used to stand in kippax then
1409rhw.jpg

John Bond was magnificent that first year. He watched them for a couple of games and saw immediately what we were short of: A hard left footed full back in Bobby Macdonald, a hard man in midfield in Gerry Gow and a little bit of magic on the flanks a la Tommy Hutchison. Tommy Hutch was fantastic and absolutely lit up Maine Road. Bond saw right through Steve Daley who within a fortnight was out of the team. What Bond did so well was that he brought the youngsters on too. Ranson, Reid, Caton, Dave Bennett and Steve Mackenzie all blossomed in our great run to the League Cup semis and F. A. Cup Final. Kevin Reeves began to find the net and Tueart rediscovered his scoring touch. In fact with the signing of Francis in the summer I believe that City had a real chance of a trophy. The injury to Tueart just before Christmas and the time spent in the treatment room by tricky Trev put paid to these hopes as the Blues slipped down the table to tenth. Before you could say Graham Baker Bond left and that was it. Goodnight Vienna.......

I was there...would have been my second season in the Kippax...that year I followed City through all the FA Cup rounds and onto Wembley only to have my heart broken...couldn't afford to get back down for the replay so watched on the box...Have hated Spurs ever since that game.
Loved that side though and wil never forget the pandemonium behind the goal at Villa Park when Power curled in his free kick...Good times.

robsta said:
Yeah thought of this when saw this post. Look at the difference between football management then and now. Remember the scene with Bond talking to the whole squad saying "you'll where club blazer, club tie, shirt" etc. Can you imagine telling the players that now. Or even better Bond trying to tell them that - "Manu you are not allowed to wear your baseball cap, Nigel no more hoodies, no one wearing headphones".

That scene was brilliant - "Call me Boss", "if you don't wear a blazer, you'll be fined..." In fact there was a football drama (I think it was Bostock's Cup) written by Nick Hancock (I think) with Tim Healy as the manager and I am 100% convinced the script of 'the manager' first meeting the players came directly from John Bond's actual words. I remember watching it years ago and thinking that it was so familiar.

Is there anyone out there who has a copy of Bostock's Cup and can confirm?

Hancock wrote it as a comedy-drama but I'm sure that bit was Bond's words.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.