31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No player above criticism eh!
No, but saying he doesn’t contribute anything is just daft. Criticise a part of his game or an error if you like.
Saying he doesn’t contribute anything , what does that even mean, he still saves plenty, and is much better than bang average, the best probably not but good enough, he’s still the best keeper with his feet and therefore the best for Pep.

Myself and the people around me (all season card holders) had a discussion at HT yesterday and the opinion if all is that Eddie doesn't contribute anything
When he was pinging the ball wide, he was Hoddle esq, but we don't play that way anymore.
He is a bang average keeper that fails to command his penalty area and if we're not utilising his strength then it's pretty pointless playing him
Teams never press him anymore, so his role has changed somewhat.

We don’t have people running in behind as much these days, but if we did, Ederson could still find them.

Myself and the people around me (all season card holders) had a discussion at HT yesterday and the opinion if all is that Eddie doesn't contribute anything
When he was pinging the ball wide, he was Hoddle esq, but we don't play that way anymore.
He is a bang average keeper that fails to command his penalty area and if we're not utilising his strength then it's pretty pointless playing him

200w.gif

Interesting, but yesterday I was in the family stand. Before the game the keepers were warming up and facing barrages of shots from the trainers. Eddie was brilliant and saved 99% of the shots fired at him from distance. However, in my view he could sharpen up on those balls in and around the 6 yard box. That is where his weakness seems to lie....

No, but saying he doesn’t contribute anything is just daft. Criticise a part of his game or an error if you like.
Saying he doesn’t contribute anything , what does that even mean, he still saves plenty, and is much better than bang average, the best probably not but good enough, he’s still the best keeper with his feet and therefore the best for Pep.
Still saves plenty!
He stopped one shot yesterday that, to be fair, was well struck, but nowhere near a corner of the goal and that you'd expect any pro keeper to stop
Look at the way he flopped down for Palace's second goal
I really have no faith in his actual goal saving ability

Still saves plenty!
He stopped one shot yesterday that, to be fair, was well struck, but nowhere near a corner of the goal and that you'd expect any pro keeper to stop
An unmarked header from about 8 yards right in the corner isn’t going to have a high percentage save rate.

How did you want him to dive in not reaching the ball?

The day Ederson leaves and all of a sudden playing out from the back feels painful again, people will realise how lucky we've been to have him. Some fans have gotten so used to the luxury of us pinging it effortlessly around our penalty area that they don't even notice he's doing it any more. And it doesn't have to be 40 yard chips into feet, he does the simple things better than any other keeper... as other keepers and defenders who lose the ball in those areas show every single week, it's not as easy as it looks.

To add to that - as has already been pointed out - teams don't bother to press us at the back any more (with the exception of maybe Liverpool) because he has shown he will just play through them. Because of that, just by existing Ederson gives us a twenty yard head-start in moving the ball up the pitch. If we changed him, you can bet teams would start pressing us high again like Brentford did to De Gea and like teams did to Bravo when we first started playing this way.

I'm not defending his bad form on shot-stopping, I'm sure he knows he can do better there. There are often goals you feel he could have done better with (like yesterday) even though he's not necessarily to blame for the goals... But there really is no keeper I would rather have in this team, to say he doesn't contribute anything boggles my mind because to me he is the foundation of how we play.

Still saves plenty!
Yes, saves plenty check the stats. This myth of never saving started late last season, nobody mentioned it before then. So is it new, has Pep not noticed it.

Not rating him as a world class shot stopper is probably a valid opinion to hold if we are comparing him to the very very best. It’d be wonderful if he was the perfect package but no goalkeeper is.
What he is, is perfect for City and this current era of domination. Pep, I’m sure would not change him for anybody and if you’ve paid attention to the evolution of the team over the last couple of years, neither should any of you.
Thinking he may do better on the odd goal is one thing, having a group of supporters all agree he “contributes nothing” makes me wonder what on earth they have been watching.

Dropped in to scapegoat territory now, could do better at shot stopping don’t think anybody questions that but I think that’s just his concentration and a human trait, but he’s still solid 1 vs 1 people seem to miss that and his ability to bypass the first line of a press and get the ball in to midfield is crucial especially away from home, unfortunately with Eddy I think it’ll be a case of you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone will apply, there’s still nobody better at what he does.

I trust that when he goes we will get a replacement that’s just as good if not better than him, but over the course of his City career he deserves a lot of credit in being pivotal to what we have done/do and to be honest to say he contributes nothing is nothing short of stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.