31 | Ederson - 2024/25

He could do with getting his head in the season sharpish. I'm still not entirely sure what seemed to rattle him so much towards the end of last season and into the summer.

Something's not right. He was poor in pre season and doesn't look with it now the season has started. Sulking he didn't get the big money move to Saudi?

Something's not right. He was poor in pre season and doesn't look with it now the season has started. Sulking he didn't get the big money move to Saudi?
I think less that and more he really does feel like he's under-appreciated by club and fans. Think the move was a symptom rather than the cause. But I don't get it, he was out on his feet at Spurs, inevitably not fit enough to finish the season, and the fans love him. They just liked the save from Ortega against Son.

I think less that and more he really does feel like he's under-appreciated by club and fans. Think the move was a symptom rather than the cause. But I don't get it, he was out on his feet at Spurs, inevitably not fit enough to finish the season, and the fans love him. They just liked the save from Ortega against Son.

He cemented his place in the fans affection forever with his saves in the champions league final. He's another player like Sterling who comes across as a bit cold. I guess that helps him under pressure.

just popping in to say he looks overweight, couldnt save a pudding and our high risk play out from the back style isnt even used that much anymore. barely anyone presses us high and Ortega and most modern keepers could play passes with the lack of pressure we’re under in most matches. Ederson’s USP is not employed by us anymore

I used to have this way of thinking but I think the confidence that Eddie instils into the rest of the team is worth its weight in gold. The FA Cup Final opening goal is a prime example, there was confusion and hesitation between Ortega and Gvardiol which wouldn't have been there with Ederson. IMO anyway.

Ortega is great with the ball at his feet but he doesn't - nor does anybody else I've seen in world football, other than Neuer - provide a sense of clarity and certainty when he's passed the ball. Ortega can misplace a pass here and there but there's just something different about Ederson and his distribution. Maybe that it's more controlled? Not bobbling to the feet of its receiver? Or just simply knowing when to, and when not to, fuck about with it due to having 7 years under Pep.

I love Ortega, he's mint and a much better conventional shot-stopper but Ederson is perfect for how we, and Pep, want to play.

Last edited:
I realise this is just a national sterotype and is neither groundbreaking nor particularly insightful but the number of Brazilian footballers who maintain a high level into their 30s is very very low. Fernandinho is the ultimate exception.

Pick your favourite 90s, 00s or 2010s Brazilian international and there’s a 90% chance they were out of elite football or reduced to a squad role by the time they were 32.

Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Kaka, Romario, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Marcelo, Dani Alves. None of them made it much past 30 before dropping off a cliff.

Maybe that’s just a coincidence but maybe Ederson’s just the latest in a very long line of Brazilians who lose their desire to play every week and maintain a really elite level of fitness every day when the sunshine and barbecue is calling.

Last edited:
The number of Brazilian footballers who maintain a high level into their 30s is very very low. Fernandinho is the ultimate exception.

Pick your favourite 90s, 00s or 2010s Brazilian international and there’s a 90% chance they were out of elite football or reduced to a squad role by the time they were 32
Very true, full backs aside, weirdly.

Very true, full backs aside, weirdly.

Even Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves were trading off their reputations by ~33.

Cafu was an exception but he didn’t even come to Europe really until he was 28.

To be fair I do wonder if all the travelling plays a big role, Brazil are like the Harlem globe trotters when it comes to friendlies they fly all over the world, and just to Brazil and back is a long trip even on private planes.

Colombia has a similar drop off and Chile’s golden generation ended quickly once they hit 30 too - Sanchez, Vidal, Medel etc.

Argentina aren’t quite so extreme with the travelling which is the only real reason I can think of why they aren’t beset by the same problem apart from their cultural link with Italy/Europe seems stronger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.