39 years ago today ! Centenary FA Cup Final.

Hard to believe it’s 39 years ago today City played Spurs in the Centenary FA Cup Final. Obviously the first game finished 1-1, Tommy Hutch at both ends. Didn’t go to the first game but went to the replay the following Thursday.

Just to be pedantic, Tommy Hutchinson didn't score at both ends - it was the same end (one in each half). I was there and still blame Gow for fouling Ardiles just outside the area for Hoddle to fluke the equaliser.

Just to be pedantic, Tommy Hutchinson didn't score at both ends - it was the same end (one in each half). I was there and still blame Gow for fouling Ardiles just outside the area for Hoddle to fluke the equaliser.
If you're going to be pedantic, get his name right. Hutchison.

Fair play to my rag dad, but he took me to that game, when I was 11, which we should have won. Gerry Gow had a chance he should have scored, after they had equalised iirc.

Don't think the outcome made much difference to our destiny, save for the numbers on that banner. It wasn’t a sliding doors moment imo.

It was also a really enjoyable run to the final. Possibly the best of the lot tbf. I bet Peterborough away was fun.

Found my match day programme at my mum and dad’s a while back and was chuffed to bits!
Think the chance you're referring to was when MacKenzie hit the post, which would have made it 2-0. I think!

Didn’t know that. We were certainly outnumbered in the replay.[/QUOTE
Didn’t know that. We were certainly outnumbered in the replay.
The replay was already decided to be at Wembley both clubs were given something like 20000 each then after deducting the F. A cronies allowance the rest went on sale on the Monday morning. Not surprisingly most blues could get time off on the Monday and the Thursday

I think each club got 30000 tickets for the replay which each sold out but 25000 went on open sale at...…..Wembley!! May as well have sent them to White Hart Lane. I was devastated, I thought it was our year.....

Was told a story a long time ago about a blue who nipped out for a pint on the Friday night. In the pub was offered a ticket and a seat on the mini bus leaving at last orders

After the draw decided to stay down there at a mates house so he could get a ticket on the Monday. Turned up back at home 7 days after nipping out for a pint. No mobiles, no way of contacting him

Such memories of those finals. Was 15 at the time but couldn't get to the first game. Watched it on tv at home on my own. Mam and Dad had gone out to do their usual Saturday shopping, neither were big football fans, but both allegiances to City rather than the Rags.

Couldn't watch extra time I was so nervous. Absolutely gutted at that result as I really thought we would win something that season. Had already been gutted by the LC semi result. Went to the home game but not the away one.

Me and a mate managed to get vouchers for replay tickets and decided that we would queue overnight at Maine Road. We decided that we would meet at the ground and whoever was first would save a place in the queue for the other. I already had the necessary for a ticket but my mate had to go on the scrounge so I was always going to get there first. And first I was too, got my name in the Manchester Evening News the next day because of it. The neighbours were coming out with flasks of tea and coffee and butties for us.

As for the game that was a huge disappointment in the end. Like someone posted earlier I missed Mackenzie's goal because there was a riot going on below us. I remember seeing poles from banners being thrown down and all sorts of carnage. I stayed at the end with most City fans and I can recall vividly singing We'll be back, We'll be back. Little did I know it would be 30 years later before were in a big final again. I waited to hear the famous cheers as the cup was raised and I couldn't. It seemed to me that City fans drowned it out with our singing.

I ballsed up an exam for the replay, I was supposed to hand in a years project on the Thursday morning and got a call from the school. I hadnt done the work anyway and rushed a few bits of paper to school on my bike. Sadly it wasnt to be the only exam I failed. Thankfully by the great parenting I was given I've done ok, but times were different then.

Hutchison says he heard the two players stood over the ball ready to take the free kick, where they were to place it, and moved into position to block it. He diverted it past Joe!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.