4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He kept things ticking over for the last twenty minutes and nothing more , he was always going to be cover for Rodri when we signed him so he has to start in the F.A. Cup , Rodri needs a rest , really cant see how we can judge him with so little game time , but i dont see any reason why he becomes a bad player overnight because he has been unlucky with injuries, lets give the lad a chance.

Just seems to be strolling round the pitch fouling people, have a feeling he knows his time is up, he should be starting on Tuesday if he isnt then he will be sold.
You would expect him to put a shift in when he comes on, expend a bit of energy and get himself on the ball, even if that isn’t his natural game.

But everything is slow and laboured, half-hearted in fact.

I don’t think he’ll start in the week.

Feel a bit sorry for him in a way. Gets a start in front of that weird set up at Southampton where every full back option started and only 1 of our 5 centre backs and then for most of his time today he's in a midfield with Gomez and a kid making his debut.

I'd rather reserve judgement until I see him in that role in a more familiar line up but, as far as this season is concerned, I'm struggling to see too many opportunities beyond Tuesday where that can happen...... unless everything goes to shit. He will get plenty of minutes from the bench either in scenarios like tonight or when we are trying to close down a tight game.

He's not a lone cdm, so to expect him to come in and be as good as Rodri, you're going to be disappointed. Many clearly going in with confirmation bias anyway. Lad can't win.

He doesn’t have the positional awareness to replace Rodri. When you watch Rodri play he wants the ball all of the time, he makes angles to receive the ball and is more than happy to keep it under pressure.

On the other hand, Phillips goes missing in the middle. He’s happy for the ball to bypass him and is far too slow on the ball to do what Rodri does.

That said, I do think there is a role for him alongside Rodri where he can hassle the opposition like he did at Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.