44 Years Ago… Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond

It's a few years ago now but, iirc we were one of very few games played that day due to the weather & our under soil heating and I think we'd have gone top with a win....that injury was pivotal.

Indeed, and I think we might have played a game or two more than the rest, so it was slightly flattering. We did go top with the win over Wolves - Trevor Francis scoring a terrific goal from way out. Denis had been playing really well and we missed him badly.

Great summary.
Selling anyone we could get money for including people who'd only just arrived because they weren't affordable.
There must have been no cash flow forecasting at all and not surprisingly the team spiralled into decline.
Swales should have gone then really but it took a few more years to see that the cupboard was bare.

Swales took loans on just about everything we had as assets, The debt just made it impossible for any manager at City to build a squad for that reason, any City player was available at the right price and I think Paul Lake would have been sold if not for his injuries, Paul Stewart was another one sold for a promotion push and new signings

Swales was lucky because I think the fans did not turn on him until the forward with Franny Lee in the mid 90s
City fans sort of knew we were never going to be a club that won silverware anymore, Yes we all had dreams and hopes lady luck would play a part maybe in the league cup or FA cup. But we stuck behind the club and there were some nightmare seasons but also some great games against the scum and Liverpool/Everton and Arsenal/Spurs.

44 Years ago, doesn't sound much when you say It fast.

The last great games and nights games were under John Bond, Wembley and semi-finals

I can still remember both Everton game in the FA cup and Liverpool in the league cup, Both Night games at Maine Road were full to the rafters and the Kippax packed, I was hooked right there and then City playing under the lights with the atmosphere and the City fans singing all night long

I just took a punt.

I can remember neither Clive or Paul getting much game time, thinking about it, Machin wouldn't play Paul rumours of him shagging the managers daughter at the time.
My dad met peter reid at haydock races and asked why he doesnt play allen , reid replied ,”hes got no fuckin heart”, whilst grimacing and patting his chest.
Sums reid up.

I loved goalden moulden, he knew where the net was but he just lacked a yard in pace for top level

80-81 was the first year I had a season ticket and was able to get to most aways, all funded by my part-time evening job stacking shelves at Shopping Giant. One of the best years of my life and certainly one of the most memorable seasons ever. Not possible without John Bond so I will always have a soft spot for him no matter what came after.
I loved the season we got to Wembley under Bond

My dad met peter reid at haydock races and asked why he doesnt play allen , reid replied ,”hes got no fuckin heart”, whilst grimacing and patting his chest.
Sums reid up.

I loved goalden moulden, he knew where the net was but he just lacked a yard in pace for top level
Reid was a good player but a clueless arse as manager ! To say that about a class player like Clive Allen summed the idiot up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.