44 Years Ago… Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond

Gary James

It was 44 years ago today that John Bond became City boss. Where have all these years gone?

It was 44 years ago today that John Bond became City boss. Where have all these years gone?

I remember a few of the Kippax lads tried to get a chant going which reflected the (newly) post-punk music scene by singing (to 'Hooray For The Red, White and Blue') 'John Bond-age, John Bond-age, John Bond-age!'

Never really caught on, though..!

Really interested to see peoples thoughts on him. He was my first proper City manager, as my Dad had stopped taking me in protest of sales of Dave Watson, Gary Owen and Peter Barnes, and replacing them with the Futcher brothers (for whom he had an unhealthy dislike) He had fallen out of love with football a bit after Colin Bell too to be fair..For some reason, (possibly by my constant mithering when I was 7) we started going again when John Bond was manager and I really liked him and I loved the vibe at City at the time, and both Cup runs were superb (people forget that League Cup run was pretty good as well as the FA Cup one before we were cheated by the buswreckers)

As a naive young lad I actually thought the fans did too, but it seems that wasnt at all universal.

Id been to City as a 4 year old but it was John Bonds team that grabbed me by the jaffers. (although it did annoy me when he whistled when he said his "s"s)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.