#47 | Phil Foden - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did more in half hour than mount did in 90. He has to start over mount on Sunday.
I agree, that front four needs to consist of Sterling, Grealish, Foden & Kane. I just watched Fodens movement when he came on and he looked terrifying and Denmark looked terrified too. I thought the whole team went up a gear albeit they had played 90 minutes.

That's not what he's been doing down the right, he's been too safe if anything. I haven't checked the stats but I'm fairly certain his successful take ons and goal involvement ratios, per match are much lower than they are at City down the left. I think they'll be lower than Saka's been showing down the right for England when he has played too, which is why I don't think it's about the instructions he's been getting.

I'd prefer we at least try him down the left, where he actually has the experience at senior level. I suppose he's building that experience now with England but my point was his place isn't as secured in this team like Kane's or Sterling's. He might be more comfortable down the left(especially when coming on as a sub) which would help him get into the game faster and find the form we're used to seeing from him.

I have noticed, at least one of the times Grealish has come on, Southgate moved Sterling over to the right for him to have the left side. So I don't see where the reluctance is coming from, other than Sterling preferring that side. Maybe it's Foden saying he wants to play down the right because that spot is kind of open for someone to make their own.

I'm normally biased towards City players but I couldn't argue too much if Saka starts ahead of him down the right, based on how they've both done so far in the minutes they've played. Sakas been good to his credit, Foden is capable of more than he's shown.

Yes he has been too safe, which is why I think he lost his place. If he did get his place back and attacked more though, I’d prefer him to be doing that on the right.

Flood the the midfield with the likes of Phil and Jack and starve Italy of the ball, get them running around like England did in the first half of extra time. Spain did this well against them and it seemed to work but they lacked the cutting edge.

I agree, that front four needs to consist of Sterling, Grealish, Foden & Kane. I just watched Fodens movement when he came on and he looked terrifying and Denmark looked terrified too. I thought the whole team went up a gear albeit they had played 90 minutes.
I think thats harsh on Mount i really do and i think there is pretty much zero chance that Mount doesnt start on Sunday. Foden came on after 95 minutes when Denmark were on their arses and that was the perfect time to play him.

England have grown into this tournament and even though i would love to see Fiden play more, i think its hard to really criticise any of Southgates choices. Yes we would love to see free flowing attacking footbal like City, but thats just not going to happen with England and if we do try, then we will lose.

Do the hard graft for 70 minutes and stay in the game (which Mount does very well), then let Foden and Grealish do their thing.

Yep, Mount makes by far the most tackles per game in the England side

Looking at his stats, I can definitely see why Southgate plays him, but he has an air of invisibility about him.

As well as all those tackles, he apparently makes by far the most crosses per game too, yet I can't remember any of them :)

Looking at his stats, I can definitely see why Southgate plays him, but he has an air of invisibility about him.

As well as all those tackles, he apparently makes by far the most crosses per game too, yet I can't remember any of them :)

He's a really good player and a proper busy fucker. He doesn't have the ability to make things happen like Phil does and that's why I'd have liked to have seen him replace Mount for the Denmark game. But there's not much point arguing with the result and I think Mount is definitely the smarter option for the final because of his work rate against Italy's midfield.

Whether he starts instead of Saka is another matter and I can see arguments for both sides. Although, I'm obviously hoping it's Phil who gets the nod.

Hopefully his form next season rams the stupidity of Southgate's obsession with lesser players down his throat.
Southgate’s given them all a crack and none has shone above all others. Moreover, he’s taken the team to the final for the first time in 55 years. If there’s any stupidity, it’s in your wholly biased analysis.

Came on and suddenly we kept the ball far better

Did more in half hour than mount did in 90. He has to start over mount on Sunday.

Denmark were blowing out of their arses at this stage of the game, hoping to limp through to penalties. Then they went a man down. Hardly a fair comparison, no matter how much you guys (and I) like Foden.

Southgate’s given them all a crack and none has shone above all others. Moreover, he’s taken the team to the final for the first time in 55 years. If there’s any stupidity, it’s in your wholly biased analysis.
of course he's biased. its a City forum not effing England. Would you swap grealish, mount or saka for Phil?

of course he's biased. its a City forum not effing England. Would you swap grealish, mount or saka for Phil?
That doesn‘t have to mean totally blinkered comments otherwise it’s more of a fanboy echo chamber.

Silly question. Since you ask it, I prefer Foden out of those four but that doesn’t make Southgate an obsessive idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.