#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mate, it was a Stones fuck up, no matter how much you want to blame others.

It's happened and, as long as he bounces back for us, no problem and we move on.

He specifically acknowledged that it was a Stones fuck up, which was correct.

He also acknowledged the mistakes made by those around him, which was also correct.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone else made a mistake sufficient enough to influence Stones control of the ball.

The pass to him was terrible and ill-advised, considering the positioning of all their other teammates.

Again, it's most definitely a Stones fuck up because he still had the opportunity to deal with it but I don't think that goal happens if he's in a City shirt because the team is so well drilled. England try and mimic a more modern playing style but without the players or coaching to make it work.

Pope's a pretty prime example of that. He's just so uncomfortable playing out from the back and I wouldn't even blame him because he's not being played to his strengths.

This is what I can conclude from what happened:

1) If this was Ederson, he would not have immediately played the pass. He would have waited for his defenders to get into position and then passed the ball to the them. Pope just immediately passes to Stones who is still running back

2) Maguire after passing the ball to our left back, he doesn't track back to give him the option to receive the ball again from him even though there was a Polish player on him. He just stays in his place forcing the left back to pass it back to Pope.

In a City game Stones would never find himself in this situation and even if he does, other City Players would be ready to cover for him. Yes Stones could have cleared it or passed it back to Pope, I am just saying City's setup would not have put him in this situation.

I thought he shirked it a bit myself, stood off to often, and was too passive. Him and Dias didn't look anywhere near as imposing as they have done most of the season. Hopefully just a blip but I'd be starting Laporte on Saturday with a view to starting him in the 2nd leg if he smashes it

Big game for him tonight after his England fuck up. Vital for his new found mental strength that he responded with a solid game and I felt he did that against the toughest striker in World football right now. Not his imperious best but more than good enough.

Big game for him tonight after his England fuck up. Vital for his new found mental strength that he responded with a solid game and I felt he did that against the toughest striker in World football right now. Not his imperious best but more than good enough.

Yep,clearly no lingering psychological demons,he did what was expected of him and had a decent,if unremarkable,game.

He's a top lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.