51 years ago today - Swales became chairman

If he had the club’s best interest at heart why did he fraudulently suppress the attendance figures over a sustained period?
Tbf I think a lot of chairmen were doing that back in the day of cash turnstiles ,Forest and County fans of old will tell you the same.

Fwiw I met Peter Swales twice and he was polite and charming on both occasions in 1980 on a touf round the ground and in 1987 when he attended our supporters club Xmas dinner in Coventry .and congratulated me on scoring for the SC earlier that day?

I was far to naive at the time to understand what damage he was apparently doing behind the scenes ...but he did appoint John Bond and as a city daft teenager that move installed real hope and our results went onto a different trajectory ...

What I will never forgive Swales for tho is allowing that ,crappy biased documentary, by Granada ...called " CITY " to be aired in 81 ...it showing our club in the worst possible light ,ignoring the successful league cup and fa cup runs in 1981 which would have given a more balanced view of the period . I wonder how much Swales got for allowing the cameras behind the scenes back then...No self respecting chairman would have allowed that without checking the final edit .

Tbf I think a lot of chairmen were doing that back in the day of cash turnstiles ,Forest and County fans of old will tell you the same.

Fwiw I met Peter Swales twice and he was polite and charming on both occasions in 1980 on a touf round the ground and in 1987 when he attended our supporters club Xmas dinner in Coventry .and congratulated me on scoring for the SC earlier that day?

I was far to naive at the time to understand what damage he was apparently doing behind the scenes ...but he did appoint John Bond and as a city daft teenager that move installed real hope and our results went onto a different trajectory ...

What I will never forgive Swales for tho is allowing that ,crappy biased documentary, by Granada ...called " CITY " to be aired in 81 ...it showing our club in the worst possible light ,ignoring the successful league cup and fa cup runs in 1981 which would have given a more balanced view of the period . I wonder how much Swales got for allowing the cameras behind the scenes back then...No self respecting chairman would have allowed that without checking the final edit .

The documentary by Granada was a very good insight into how football clubs were run then. It was a very different world back then, there was very little money from the outside like sponsorships and TV money was not available at that time, It was all about the crowds and fans turning up and how many season tickets you sold.

Manchester City and Swales chairman was not that very much different from most of all the clubs back then, everybody even united had to play 2nd fiddle to Liverpool and their owners Littlewoods Pools,

What many don't realise is Manchester City was the last Manchester club to win the old first-division title before Sky Premier League, That's how powerful Liverpool was back then, even City ran Liverpool close to the title in the late 70s, So early Swales was doing something right and won the league cup and had European football.

What did for Swales and the board was Malcolm Allison and the breaking up of the team Tony Book built.
City and Swales spent so much money on Malcolm's Allison ideas and sold our best youth players and players for peanuts, Big Mal for me was all out intending to ruin Swales and Manchester City as payback for sacking in the early 70s,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.