#6 | Nathan Aké - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still settling in,but defensively looks very good.keeps calm and does the simple thing well with low level of risk.Think he will be more adventurous going forward once he settles into the Pep way of playing

He didn’t do anything wrong and he looks solid enough but for me, it’s just another non LB playing LB for us. We have had too much of this with Delph, Zinchenko etc and while these players ‘do a job’ they are ultimately not the answer. Signing a top class LB has to be a priority (again).
I get where you're coming from, but Pep Guardiola has a habit of making square pegs in round holes work.

You may be right of course, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think if we're going for a back 4 that turns into a back 3 in possession Aké is well suited for it.

I think as an actual LB I'm not 100% sure it's a great idea. Early days though.

He did well. I commented at halftime his aerial presence is assuring and thankfully he proved me right in the 2nd half.
I'm not sure what this means anymore though.

Fullbacks can be wide, stretching the pitch and sending crosses in, or

They can be defensively solid, staying back and not letting anybody pass them.

I don't think I've ever seen any fullback complete in both roles, they are usually praised for being phenomenal in 1, while also being okay in the other (Trent vs Walker for example)

Ake is clearly unable to play the former role, but is great in the latter as a fullback.

He is my preferred option if Cancelo plays RB, even if Walker plays RB, I don't mind 2 defensive fulbacks either to give the midfield more freedom forward.

I get where you're coming from, but Pep Guardiola has a habit of making square pegs in round holes work.

You may be right of course, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
He does but I think even Pep is struggling with this LB position. I have backed Mendy probably more than most on here but I think we are getting to the point where Pep no longer sees him as an option. I don’t want us to go into next season with a make-do LB.

Thought Ake was excellent tonight and I would like to see him get a run of games. However, if we play a rock solid defensive left back surely we only need one defensive midfielder. I will be seeing Rodri, Gundo, Diaz ,Ake and Stones passing amongst themselves in my sleep tonight.

He's had a few injuries, he's settling in at his new club, playing in numerous different positions and not playing consistently, some people are expecting too much too soon from him.

He did fine tonight. Defensively, especially on the cover when the ball is on the other flank he's magnificent as you'd expect from a CB, in other areas he's got some improvement to do but in games like today where we are basically playing a wide 3 at the back he slots in perfectly.

I think his passing will improve in time once he adjusts to our demands, we know he can do it from his time at Bournemouth and he's such a fantastic header of the ball. Not been spectacular for us but made a very good start to his career here in my eyes with much more to come.

Good game last night,he is clearly beginning to settle as the extra authority and dominance he displayed showed.The fact he was playing more in a 3 definitely helped showcase his ability.

Good game last night,he is clearly beginning to settle as the extra authority and dominance he displayed showed.The fact he was playing more in a 3 definitely helped showcase his ability.

Yes, it worked very well with Cancelo on the other side, when he pushed up, Stones Dias Ake made a very well balanced three. His aerial ability is useful at both ends of the pitch and we are surely stronger and set pieces with all three of those defenders on the field.

I cannot comprehend the criticism of Ake. His job is to defend, which he does well. He also wins defensive and attacking headers. He blocks and closes down forwards and is never bullied. Others are learning from him. We have been crying out for such a player. He never put a foot wrong v Newcastle. Also stayed wide as an outlet. He does the simple things well.

He will grow into City. I remember the same questions of what they add being asked when David Silva and Fernandinho came? He is still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.