7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll hazard a guess that life changing traumatic events, where a mother is horrifically killed in front of a child, don’t impact like that mate . . so maybe not eh?
Maybe not but I have seen people suffer similar tragedies and it's changed their outlook of life completely.

Before the BM jury decides to hang him on the next tree
I'd like to bring to mind that,

1) Cancelo aged 15 sat in the car besides his brother when in a crash his mother died at the wheel. Imagine that for a minute.
It's horrible and in fact he has a long term PTSD symptom and he fights hard to get over it, without a true chance to win, sadly.

2) MCFC knew simply anything about Cancelo when they signed him as they always do. They knew about the risks and are fully responsible.
He had his defensive brainfarts, but also world class actions and last season he was simply immense. Players like him are difficult for a team, but bottom line he was still a good signing, IMO.

3) FFS he is a Bayern player now. Could we just accept that he HAS to want to win the CL now? Should he step out and say he hopes City win? Let's not be childish.
Strange post.

Maybe not but I have seen people suffer similar tragedies and it's changed their outlook of life completely.

Yes, like all the many ex-soldiers, who having witnessed atrocious suffering are themselves suffering from ptsd and are homeless and are totally head-fucked unable to function in society and are sleeping rough rather than being lifted to the more thoughtful and appreciative state of mind that you suggest should be the beneficial,outcome.
Maybe you should go tell them all to pull their socks up and feel lucky for what they’ve been through eh?

btw, you do know what ptsd is don’t you?

I hear what you are saying and for some the 'what doesnt kill you will make you stronger' scenario is realistic,however....for others,the effects can be acute,chronic or completely out of the blue with no associated warning.

Stress/trauma/grief are an individual thing,one size does definitely not fit all.

I don’t condone the hate, but I do understand the frustration and the dislike of his behaviour (both what caused him to be sent out and how he has acted at Bayern), which regardless of how you spin it, is fairly poor.

And I have no problem with him saying he wants to win the CL (which player doesn’t), but the way he has said it since leaving us often has a bit of a backhanded nature to how he says it, as is the case with the quote I posted.

I think it is fairly obvious he was not a positive influence on the squad before he went out on loan and I think many take issue with that, which is fair.

Beyond that, he apparently hasn’t ripped up trees at Bayern, either, which means he’s likely to come back to us to be a problem to solve again in the summer.

As I said, I always try to denounce hate and ridiculous criticism (see my many years long efforts in the Stones and Rodri threads, and more recently defending Grealish when everyone was calling him shite) and I agree Cancelo doesn’t deserve it here.

But I think he does deserve the frustration and some of the dislike. I agree with @St.Pauli support in that he has gone through some very difficult situations in his life that have likely influenced how he perceives the world and causes some of the behaviour many find fault with. He didn’t even mention the break in that Cancelo survived, which I am sure had a profound effect on his feelings about Manchester in general.

But I had a pretty difficult childhood, and am experiencing some significant challenges now, both causing their own issues, and I am still rightly held accountable for what I say and do. Even if people will sometimes be more understanding initially because of their knowledge of my previous and/or current struggles, eventually if I repeat the same behaviour it really can’t be excused any more, as I should eventually be aware of what may be influencing me to do it and how it impacts others.

At some point, what I say and how I act, if it is negatively impacting others, shouldn’t be tolerated just because it comes from a place of difficulty.

I am not saying he has necessarily done anything especially bad, as some of our other players have, hence why I am not in here lambasting him. But I do think it is fair to say his behaviour hasn’t been especially great and he is putting the club in a more challenging position than is necessary.

And it is fine to hold him accountable for that, as he is an adult, has full agency, and is ultimately responsible for himself and his impact on others.

Just my £0.02.
Normally I enjoy reading your posts but have no idea what you are on about here?
Cancelo is a very talented player but with also a number of faults.
He's fallen out of favour and it's clear its to do with off the pitch
City have made a decision to loan him out
What forms his character and why he behaves the way he does (good or bad) is nothing to do with us fans
And that's it

Normally I enjoy reading your posts but have no idea what you are on about here?
Cancelo is a very talented player but with also a number of faults.
He's fallen out of favour and it's clear its to do with off the pitch
City have made a decision to loan him out
What forms his character and why he behaves the way he does (good or bad) is nothing to do with us fans
And that's it
My post boiled down to it being fine if fans are frustrated with his behaviour, as he is ultimately responsible for that as an adult with full agency, regardless of what has happened off the pitch. And that “hate” for really any player is uncalled for but is not the same as voicing frustration with Cancelo and the situation, which does impact the club and so interests the fans (otherwise we couldn’t say anything about anything). I was mainly responding to @St.Pauli support ‘s post about Cancelo’s difficult background being a reason to not voice frustration or dislike, which I do not believe is valid, especially when you consider a large portion of footballers come from challenging backgrounds. All anyone is asking from our adult players is to act maturely and respectfully in their dealings with the club. Which, unfortunately, several of our players have not done recently.

Before the BM jury decides to hang him on the next tree
I'd like to bring to mind that,

1) Cancelo aged 15 sat in the car besides his brother when in a crash his mother died at the wheel. Imagine that for a minute.
It's horrible and in fact he has a long term PTSD symptom and he fights hard to get over it, without a true chance to win, sadly.

2) MCFC knew simply anything about Cancelo when they signed him as they always do. They knew about the risks and are fully responsible.
He had his defensive brainfarts, but also world class actions and last season he was simply immense. Players like him are difficult for a team, but bottom line he was still a good signing, IMO.

3) FFS he is a Bayern player now. Could we just accept that he HAS to want to win the CL now? Should he step out and say he hopes City win? Let's not be childish.
As a person that is tragic and I have great empathy for him. I don't see how it effects his ability to defend quality right wingers or straight lobbed balls over the top. He's never been immense. This narrative is a media narrative. Anyone who watched him knows that he had high short peaks and deep long troughs.

We're greatly improved without him defensively and play better attacking wise which is coincidental to say the least. His form suffered after the attack on him last year so that was completely forgivable. This season, he was a mard arse and his play didn't warrant it and that's the way it goes I guess.

Think he will see no minutes against us because of his defensive liability, maybe if they need a goal or go full attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.