7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don’t think he is having a great season this one and that might be due to playing too much as we didn’t get the right level of cover for the full back positions. He is a sloppy defender and whilst he has some cracking games offensively, I don’t think he has done that consistently this season and that’s one reason why in the last 4/5 weeks we haven’t been creating as much and are looking a bit lacklustre in attack. Walker coming back after the World Cup should hopefully help.

Wasn't his fault that he ended up being last man. Ake got under the ball and missed his header.

Still, should have just trusted Ederson and not got himself sent off.

The abuse of Cancelo in the match day thread was ridiculous.

Yeah he made a mistake but so did Ake which put Cancelo under pressure.

Rather than abusing players after a mistake how about supporting them?

He's a brilliant player who will win us more games than lose.
Yeah because its singular right...

The abuse of Cancelo in the match day thread was ridiculous.

Yeah he made a mistake but so did Ake which put Cancelo under pressure.

Rather than abusing players after a mistake how about supporting them?

He's a brilliant player who will win us more games than lose.
He got a standing ovation in the stadium as he went off the pitch.

He got a standing ovation in the stadium as he went off the pitch.
This is because what people in the stadium see and how they react is polar opposite to how posters in match day threads see the game and react. Why match treads are best avoided if you want to enjoy a game.

He's definitely more of a creative midfielder or winger, long thought that Pep should just convert him.

But it seems like he'd rather just have him start at a RB then give him license to do either of those roles after we have the ball for a bit of time.

Don't know if Pep is wrong there, it's clearly been successful for many games, but it was cost us in some as well.
I’d argue that Cancelo’s balance sheet as a nominal full-back is heavily skewed towards the positive. He may have some reckless moments but that’s partly because - unlike some who are also getting flak - he isn’t afraid to attempt the ambitious.

I accept not everybody likes a risk taker or views a bit of flamboyance as an asset. For me, though, he’s in the Ederson category: occasionally daft, slightly flawed but often brilliant, and integral to a team that wins trophies in entertaining fashion.

I think we have to accept Cancelo is excellent offensively, but defensively he is vulnerable and makes mistakes. We win most of our games and we get away with it but against the better teams we get punished eg Dippers away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.