7 | Joao Cancelo - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you think and I disagree.

Ake ain't a FB, he's doing a job at LB.

Today he should have acted as a FB vs Garnacho and stop him. He didn't. The notion that he's a better FB than Cancelo is not surprising, because the concept of some fans about what a FB is supposed to offer is a bit outdated.

Again, Cancelo has started much more games than any City *defender* for a reason. He's doing what Pep wants from him.
The reason is we don't have one other left back if you consider him one but 5 central defenders and 2 right backs. Its an ongoing problem he was bound to play a lot.

Pep hasn't been shy at dropping him this season though.

He has peaks offensively when as a team we are dominating and playing well.

If I was Foden, I'd have bollocked the shit out of Cancelo at HT for refusing to give me (him) the ball when easy passes were on. Cancelo was dreadful today and needs to get his head out of the clouds.

If I was Foden, I'd have bollocked the shit out of Cancelo at HT for refusing to give me (him) the ball when easy passes were on. Cancelo was dreadful today and needs to get his head out of the clouds.
Foden wasn't much better but the amount of times Cancelo gave the ball away today, I am afraid to count. Every time left us exposed. Foden should have been dropping deeper for cover but most were sloppy passes from Cancelo. I think Cancelo needs to go back basics for a month or two rather than non look, showboating, outside of the foot passes.

Take a look at the offside goal in the build up . Watch Cancelo in that phase and his reaction when the ball goes past him . He’s a defensive liability.
Great going forward because he wanted to attack. Awful defensively as is his default setting

Take a look at the offside goal in the build up . Watch Cancelo in that phase and his reaction when the ball goes past him . He’s a defensive liability.
I think we need real defenders in the defence. I didn't see that but we are far too cavalier. We were winning.

Yep. He’s on the field as LB and I agree that as a defender he’s a liability.

He also plays too high up the pitch, occupying other positions that then isolates them. Seems not willing to pass much up the line to our forwards. Carries the ball himself, clogging the zones.

Blaming him for an offside goal...emm thats fine

How about Ake's failing to stop Garnacho for the 2nd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.