#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His time at city is over sadly. We must sell before he runs his contract down even more. He’s not happy at city anymore it’s clear to see. Hes been a good servant but it’s over

Grealish has only 6 matches, and if we compare his 6 matches with the last 6 matches from Sterling, then Grealish looks like Maradona reincarnated. Not only his stats are better in both goals and assists, but his dribbling, the fouls he gets, chances created, key passes are also all better than Sterling’s. What do you think about that?

Almost 2 years: December 2019- now.

Just answer these questions:

Has Sterling been the worst offensive option in the last year and a half?
How much do we have to wait for the 2nd highest salary from the team to produce?

Tell me one player that plays as much as Sterling does and that has produced less than Sterling for us.

This is not about all of us hating Sterling(I am sure some might hate him for whatever reason). It’s about what’s best for City, and whoever thinks Sterling staying is best for City is dreaming or a Sterling fanatic

I was being sarcastic mate. I don't really love your comment comparing Sterling with Mendy. Nor do I love the shit going around calling Grealish the £100million Nolito. Both are FT shit.

TBF I should have just directly called you out for the Mendy comparison. That's a pretty disgusting cheap shot and you know it. The funny bit is you go all-in with the "sterling has been shit for 2 years" routine which is just hyperbolic, attention seeking bollocks

The 19/20 season only finished in the middle of August last year - so just over 13 months ago. Including England in 19/20 he made 57 appearances, played 4424 minutes scoring 35 goals and with 11 assists. City all comps he finished with 31 goals and 5 assists. These are elite numbers but despite that he was routinely slagged off and abused on here during the season with the usual anti-Sterling jibes. Yep, he had a poor run during the season but the extreme criticism was off the scale as far as I was concerned. His poor technique being the main one and this was all before the horror of Lyons.

But you have now moved the goal posts from 2 years to one and half years/seasons from December 2019. So below is a table for his league performance from Dec19 to the end of the season. NPG is non-penalty goals, NPxG is non-penalty xG and, the improtant one, xA is expected assists.

He scored 12 non penalty goals and outperformed his xG by 2+ goals. That is good (it changed in 20/21) and compares to Jesus who under performed his xG by 4+ goals which was stinker for this short period.

xA is important. In the table Sterling had 0 assists. The scoring of the goal is outside of his control but based on his xA he was due 2 to 3 assists. Conversely Jesus was due 3-4 assists but actually got 6.

If you divide his minutes 1357 by his 12 goals he has a strike rate of a goal every 113 minutes. This is superb and he was the most deadly goalscorer in the league for this half season.

Goals Dec19.jpg

So can we please show him some respect for 19/20 (lyons aside) and accept that overall he has been a great, great player for all 3 seasons from 17/18 to 19/20.

20/21 he has been well down on those 3 years. We all know that but I don't think he has been disastrous as many made out and he was still a big part of our success. His best form ended around the end of February. That's only 7 months ago FFS and then he had a superb run of form in the Euros.

Almost 2 years: December 2019- now.

Just answer these questions:

Has Sterling been the worst offensive option in the last year and a half?
How much do we have to wait for the 2nd highest salary from the team to produce?

People have such awful memories, or is it deliberate?

He scored and assisted 10 goals in 11 league games to turn our season around last year. He started the comeback with the winning goal against Southampton in a match Pep and Fernandinho were on record after the title win as being make or break for the season. He was brilliant in our first win at Anfield in 17 years.

That was February. So this desperate lie that people keep peddling about him being out of form for 2 years straight is just that, a pathetic, desperate lie told by people who've become so obsessed with hating Sterling they can't see straight any more.

He's the club's biggest goalscorer and provided more goals and assists than any other player since signing his last contract. That's delivering. So again, if anyone is trying to claim he didn't deliver on that contract, they're full of shit.

He scored and assisted 10 goals in 11 league games to turn our season around last year. He started the comeback with the winning goal against Southampton in a match Pep and Fernandinho were on record after the title win as being make or break for the season. He was brilliant in our first win at Anfield in 17 years.

That was February. So this desperate lie that people keep peddling about him being out of form for 2 years straight is just that, a pathetic, desperate lie told by people who've become so obsessed with hating Sterling they can't see straight any more.

He's the club's biggest goalscorer and provided more goals and assists than any other player since signing his last contract. That's delivering. So again, if anyone is trying to claim he didn't deliver on that contract, they're full of shit.
Well said mate.

I went epic on 19/20 and then got bored so i'm glad you've posted that.

He's the biggest fluffer of chances in the team.

He doesn't have the basic technical ability. He has 2 things a turn of pace and good positional sense(hence he gets into the space to get his tap ins which are laid on a plate 99% of the time)...EVERYTHING else lacks.

The amount of amatuerish ball control(just flat out embarassing) i've witnessed in this last 2 years from him has been mind blowing for someone on the elite level of pay he's already on.

We can argue all day here but i guess his contract situation will ultimately tell us what the club and pep really think come the end. Well, pep hardly starting him tells you what pep really thinks actually.

Last edited:
He's the biggest fluffer of chances in the team. He scores tap ins and has looked awful for 2 years.
So why does he keep getting picked? Is Pep really an idiot? Or is there something we're not properly looking at when discussing him?

I still think Sterling has it in him and we should give him a last chance this season. That being said , wish Pep would only use him vs weaker teams for a while until he finds his best form.

I still think Sterling has it in him and we should give him a last chance this season. That being said , wish Pep would only use him vs weaker teams for a while until he finds his best form.
I mean he had been doing until the psg game. I think pep knew there was a high probability of us dropping points vs PSG after such a tiring game against chelsea....and another one to come against the dippers.

If our schedule wasn't so packed i highly doubt sterling starts against PSG.

I love the comparison with Mendy but not as good as Grealish is just an expensive Nolito.

A 2 year low level you say? So all of 19/20 and 20/21. Personally I think that's bollocks.

And what's all this "we" nonsense? If Pep picks him he picks him because he thinks he's the right man for the job on any given day. If he doesn't he doesn't. I'm ok with that.

There is a weird thing going on, which is a bit like Chinese whispers, as with every addition things get more distorted and then ends up nothing like reality. People have gone from saying he's been useless for 6 months, which then morphed into a year, then 18 months and we now have people saying in fact he's been woeful for 2 full years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.