#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair comment but it's easy when you're working with someone else's money... do you think Raheem has done anything over the past 18 months or so to justify a new improved contract?

Unlike the others you've named, his form almost literally fell off a cliff. Unlike the others, it wasn't injuries or a few 'in and out' games, he went from an 8.5/10 player to a 5 or 6/10 almost overnight. His performance on Tuesday did nothing to suggest that he's anywhere near turning a corner, and I certainly don't think anyone would expect to see him starting at Anfield on Sunday.

While the club may well choose to be patient with him, I can't honestly believe that anyone at the top level at City would actually want to offer him a 5 year contract on increased wages.

It's heading towards him walking away for free at the end of his contract - If the club think that is likely, I can see no reason why they wouldn't aim to offload him asap, regardless of how much faith Pep has in him. The problem (for all parties) is always going to be meeting his wage expectations.
I get where you're coming from, but I would make the precise same arguments whatever his contract situation in the past, present, or the future.

And all the arguments against Sterling staying beyond that are nothing different to what I had read for multiple seasons about Gundogan or Stones. I strongly believe that there's nothing particular unique about the Sterling situation right now.

There are two separate but related things being discussed: should he be playing, and should he get a new contract.

I would still try and give him minutes where possible, but I wouldn't be starting him in any big games right now personally. I'd love him to play himself into some form and confidence but the team's overall performance takes priority.

With regards to a new contract, I think the club has a few more months to see what pans out before they have to make a decision on that.

There are two separate but related things being discussed: should he be playing, and should he get a new contract.

I would still try and give him minutes where possible, but I wouldn't be starting him in any big games right now personally. I'd love him to play himself into some form and confidence but the team's overall performance takes priority.

With regards to a new contract, I think the club has a few more months to see what pans out before they have to make a decision on that.
Totally agree about your first point.
Regarding the contract, could it not be that there is an offer on the table and either, Sterling doesn't like the content, or he doesn't see a way back to being an automatic starter

Fair comment but it's easy when you're working with someone else's money... do you think Raheem has done anything over the past 18 months or so to justify a new improved contract?

Unlike the others you've named, his form almost literally fell off a cliff. Unlike the others, it wasn't injuries or a few 'in and out' games, he went from an 8.5/10 player to a 5 or 6/10 almost overnight. His performance on Tuesday did nothing to suggest that he's anywhere near turning a corner, and I certainly don't think anyone would expect to see him starting at Anfield on Sunday.

While the club may well choose to be patient with him, I can't honestly believe that anyone at the top level at City would actually want to offer him a 5 year contract on increased wages.

It's heading towards him walking away for free at the end of his contract - If the club think that is likely, I can see no reason why they wouldn't aim to offload him asap, regardless of how much faith Pep has in him. The problem (for all parties) is always going to be meeting his wage expectations.

Keep saying it but why you mentioning the last 18 months or so? His elite 30+ goal 19/20 season only ended just over a year ago in August last year.

When exactly did this "almost overnight" drop of form occur?

What was wrong with his form in the early part of this year? See Dom's post if you need a reminder.

And I ask more generally, how do we or anyone know he is has been asking for a big increase to his contract?

Whatever his intentions (and I'm increasingly in the he might look to walk away free camp) he holds all the cards with his contract. He earnt it and there will be zero question from the club that he has been worth it. If he does want away he's got nowhere to go to.

Sterling isn't going to renew without a massive pay rise, which we shouldn't give because he's no longer one of our key players. Giving him 400k a week or more would be crazy when he's been poor for a year. I think he's a victim of the false 9 system basically, he doesn't work in it in any position for me. Its slower even more about possession with no space in behind.

Totally agree about your first point.
Regarding the contract, could it not be that there is an offer on the table and either, Sterling doesn't like the content, or he doesn't see a way back to being an automatic starter
I think both things are possible, sure. I imagine the club would have some flexibility on numbers depending on form though. If Sterling were to come back into great form and start winning games for us again, that would change the arithmetic, so from that point of view City can afford to wait it out a little longer

If he's still struggling to hold down a place in the team and not producing what is required, I think both City and Sterling will start exploring their options in January

Sterling isn't going to renew without a massive pay rise, which we shouldn't give because he's no longer one of our key players. Giving him 400k a week or more would be crazy when he's been poor for a year. I think he's a victim of the false 9 system basically, he doesn't work in it in any position for me. Its slower even more about possession with no space in behind.
You have plucked that out of the air , nobody knows what contract he is asking for

I think both things are possible, sure. I imagine the club would have some flexibility on numbers depending on form though. If Sterling were to come back into great form and start winning games for us again, that would change the arithmetic, so from that point of view City can afford to wait it out a little longer

If he's still struggling to hold down a place in the team and not producing what is required, I think both City and Sterling will start exploring their options in January

Equally if he is committed to leaving and his form returns the club are in a stronger position for a fee in the summer if the transfer market gets stronger with more options in a post-Covid world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.