#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scored a lucky goal. Now he‘s a world beater again. Can‘t wait for Sunday.

I don't need to defend Raheem Sterling, his statistics, matches played, goals scored,And number of international caps are sufficient evidence.

You use the phrase " tap ins " for goals scored by Raheem as if they count less than those players you favour.

On Wednesday you saw a "tap in " by Sterling. I saw a goal that was a portal of the philosophy of our coach. A brilliant run by Walker, superb weight of pass by Rodri, athleticsm again by Walker to cushion the ball, at the same time as Rodri passed Sterling anticipated the move and lost his marker moving into a goalscoring space, reacting to a slight deflection , changing feet to stretch and score. A vital, big goal.
You saw a "tap in" I saw a goal of beauty.

Most of our goals are from close to goal, that is the philosophy of the coach. We score over a hundred per season do you see them as tap ins or just those Sterling scores.

Elite premier league footballers have attributes which are superior to those below them, they do not need to share all the infinite types of skills, but they do portray a finite number to a high level.

You just cannot identify those which Sterling possesses, the managers at Liverpool, City , and England have.

Let's leave it there, and you can continue to expand on his lack of technique, and how lucky he must be to be in the right place for his next tap in.
I have praised Sterling, when deserved (See Everton thread!), but saw that he had not been playing well. The same old problems were coming to the fore.

Against Everton, he went back to the basics of taking on his man, getting a cross in, showing up at the far post when the ball was on our left, and poaching a goal or two.

Funnily enough, guess who has seen the same thing? PEP!!

I have praised Sterling, when deserved (See Everton thread!), but saw that he had not been playing well. The same old problems were coming to the fore.

Against Everton, he went back to the basics of taking on his man, getting a cross in, showing up at the far post when the ball was on our left, and poaching a goal or two.

Funnily enough, guess who has seen the same thing? PEP!!

You have never really "liked" Sterling have you ?
In 2015 before we had signed Sterling.

You said;

"I'd rather spend the money on the likes of;
Ward Prowse.
Sneiderlin.
Clyne.
Roberts.
Sterling seems like a petulant kid.

I was wondering how you developed that impression of him. I presume you didn't know him personally. The tabloids over here went to great lengths to portray lies about him, which they later apologized for. You made reference to those headlines in later posts.

It is good to hear you will praise him when he deserves it, lets hope he can do that.

You have never really "liked" Sterling have you ?
In 2015 before we had signed Sterling.

You said;

"I'd rather spend the money on the likes of;
Ward Prowse.
Sneiderlin.
Clyne.
Roberts.
Sterling seems like a petulant kid.

I was wondering how you developed that impression of him. I presume you didn't know him personally. The tabloids over here went to great lengths to portray lies about him, which they later apologized for. You made reference to those headlines in later posts.

It is good to hear you will praise him when he deserves it, lets hope he can do that.
I see you have taken to a forensic examination of my posts from 7 years ago, when (as you can see from the positions of those players) we had other needs.

That said, it’s not as if he EVER had a first touch, or EVER didn’t run down blind alleys, so I guess he has been consistent.

I maintain, and will against any and all, he is technically deficient when compared to almost everyone playing his position(s) at City. I gave you (and others) the opportunity to tell me who he keeps out of the team. Nada. Zip. Zilch. No answers.

I’m not saying he is a bad player. I AM saying that THIS Man City team has developed beyond him and his abilities, as displayed on a regular basis.

He would have to perform miracles to dissuade me of that position, but I hold out hope for him, especially if City do tie him down to a long term final contract.

I have nothing against him personally, and have supported him against media dog whistles, but I will stand by my belief that the Raheem Sterling we have seen for most of this season is not good enough to give a top, top, long term contract. If he’s willing to hold out for one, and leave on a free, we should sell him to generate whatever value he possesses.

I would love nothing more than to see him develop the first touch of a Bernardo, Mahrez or Foden, but we both know it’s not happening. I’d love him to develop a killer instinct that doesn’t drain out of him the longer he has to think about his next action. Again, Sterling is the LAST attacker in the team I would want going one on one with the keeper. Is there any attacker in the team you would choose that you have less confidence in?

These are not PERSONAL comments about him. They are based on seeing every game he has ever played for us!!!

When he is direct, at pace, and knocks the ball by the opponent, he is virtually unstoppable. He is very very strong for his size. He has developed into a player who plays both ways, as we saw against PSG. However, his “decision-making at speed,” which is something either Wio or Carragher was discussing about someone else, is desperately poor. They said it separates a player from A PLAYER, and I agree.

I have ZERO personal animosity towards Raheem. I don’t know him and I would say I’ve certainly changed my feelings if I did, indeed, say he seemed like a petulant kid 7 years ago. He seems like a first class human. Sadly, that’s only a very small part of the essential requirements for this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.