#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His world class movement and positioning means he gets into goal scoring positions, but then his poor finishing undo all that.
Jesus is better at finishing and assisting, but he is either offside or far away from where he needs to be.

Can we have a proper centre-forward next season ?

I agree. I am one of his biggest critics because his lack of touch and his overall standard of play for a professional footballer at the top level drives me absolutely nuts. The one big thing he had in his favour was goal return. I have always said its difficult to knock anyone who bags 20+ goals a season, no matter what other deficiencies they have to their game. The problem is, he isn't currently a 20+ goals a season player, so when he isn't scoring goals he stands out like a sore thumb.

The past month and especially Saturdays game were a prime example of Sterling and the problems we face with him. In December I thought he was improving but not exactly setting the world on fire. Against Chelsea he didn't score or assist but I thought he was the best player on the park. So we had a situation where he was either scoring but not playing great, or not scoring but playing well. Not the best situation to be in, ideally you get good performances as well as goals, but nevertheless a huge improvement over what had gone before.

Then against Southampton his overall game was absolutely abysmal. The touch and weight of pass just miles off the required standard. Then he gets the chance of a tap-in from 6 yards and again abysmal.

Most fans will accept him being one side of the coin (either poor with goals or good performances with less goals) but when he is throwing in both terrible performances and not scoring people will get annoyed with him. That on Saturday was completely unacceptable. We have to hope it was just one bad game in amongst an upturn in fortunes for him.
My issue with this is even when hes of form his goals are atleast on par or better than the whole squad.

Best player by a distance all of one week ago against Chelsea after winning player of the month for December.

Annnnndddd once again the torrent of abuse after one subpart performance.

For me he wasn't even that terrible against Saints. The missed sitter magnifies things. That one particularly misweighted pass wasn't good (KDB will have a handful like that every game of course.)

But there is what I call "bad Sterling" where he gets the ball and basically dribbles it into the feet of the opposition. Over and over again. Wasn't too much of that as I remember. Maybe my standards aren't high enough but I'm inclined to cut him a lot of slack given his immense improvement and value added to the squad since November.

Some folk will have been licking their lips he missed that chance, Being the best player in the PL for the past 4 or 5 Weeks is irrelevant, He's now shit and always has been again.

Pretty much. The vitriol I’ve just read starting post Southampton can only be attributed to a minority of people who are obsessed with Sterling in a negative fashion. Like angry stalkers waiting for the chance to berate him.

Anyway, makes me chuckle that people can watch THIS version of City then bleat like sheeple at every give opportunity. These are the footballing days of our lives.

Pretty much. The vitriol I’ve just read starting post Southampton can only be attributed to a minority of people who are obsessed with Sterling in a negative fashion. Like angry stalkers waiting for the chance to berate him.

Anyway, makes me chuckle that people can watch THIS version of City then bleat like sheeple at every give opportunity. These are the footballing days of our lives.

Remember how we all used to look at United fans and what entitled dickheads they were? And how insane it is that Real Madrid boo the best players in their history after a few bad games?

Unfortunately that's the direction our fan base is headed, and I don't think there's any way of stopping it because it's a consequence of success.

People losing their minds because we drew, not lost, a league game after 12 wins. A genuine, serious thread pops up about if we have any world class players. The best side in English football history ffs, no world class players.

The obsessive Sterling hatred is predictable, it's worse than ever, but it's oh so predictable so it's hard to get worked up. We know how this ends, he keeps scoring, keeps winning awards, the thread goes quiet again. At this point half the posters are not bothered about his performances in 2022 but that they were made to look like clowns for predicting he'd be sold down the league in 2018 and never heard from again.

Last edited:
Remember how we all used to look at United fans and what entitled dickheads they were? And how insane it is that Real Madrid boo the best players in their history after a few bad games?

Unfortunately that's the direction our fan base is headed, and I don't think there's any way of stopping it because it's a consequence of success.

People losing their minds because we drew, not lost, a league game after 12 wins. A genuine, serious thread pops up about if we have any world class players. The best side in English football history ffs, no world class players.

The obsessive Sterling hatred is predictable, it's worse than ever, but it's oh so predictable so it's hard to get worked up. We know how this ends, he keeps scoring, keeps winning awards, the thread goes quiet again. At this point half the posters are not bothered about his performances in 2022 but that they were made to look like clowns for predicting he'd be sold down the league in 2018 and never heard from again.

All of these words are indeed correct.

EDIT:

I think the best example of that is really this forum. I remember it before the takeover and weirdly it was probably less angry and less divisive place back then. Success and numbers of users has led to a very different experience and one which seems a bit out of sync with what’s going on on the pitch.

Last edited:
Remains and always will be a very dangerous player. His a ability to be in the right place at the right time is almost Aguero like. But jesus christ he’s frustrating. He’s so dangerous it’s almost impossible to bring him off if needed because of all our players he’s the one most likely to be in the right place at the right time. Sometimes it will pay off and sometimes sadly he will stink the place out.
But he’s an incredibly dangerous player to have.

Last edited:
Remains and always will be a very dangerous player. His a ability to be in the right place at the right time is almost Aguero like. But jesus christ he’s frustrating. He’s so dangerous it’s almost impossible to bring him off if needed because of all our players he’s the one most likely to be in the right place at the right time. Sometimes it will pay off and sometimes sadly he will stink the place out.
But he’s an incredibly dangerous player to have.

In the old days Raz would've been Shaun Goater and he'd be a club legend.

The problem with the old days, is that they're the OLD days. ;)

In the old days Raz would've been Shaun Goater and he'd be a club legend.

The problem with the old days, is that they're the OLD days. ;)

Never thought of it like that. Goater was a truly terrible player, but heart on his sleeve and scored so many goals that his talent didn’t merit. His heart our belief made him a legend.

Never thought of it like that. Goater was a truly terrible player, but heart on his sleeve and scored so many goals that his talent didn’t merit. His heart out belief made him a legend.

We've become so accustomed to perfection that we seem to forget that a football team requires more than just technically the very best of the best.

In fact I'd argue that as important as technique in our squad is mentality. It's the mentality that gets you the volume of points/trophies. It's the mentality that elevates Raz above the overwhelmingly vast majority of his peers. Mentality got us 100 points when the league was won weeks if not months before. Mentality gets you turning up week in week out at every single ground and playing like you're in a cup final. Look at how not just Sterling but many players have fought back from being dropped by Pep. I think we're beyond lucky to have the squad we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.