#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you swapped the performances over the last few months of Foden and Sterling, Phil would be getting praised to high heaven and Raheem would be called shit, not good enough, waste of wages left right and centre.

This isn't about slagging off Phil, who's just having a bit of a rough patch, more a comment on how different our expectations are for different players. Hell, even Grealish and Jesus get less criticism on here than Raheem.

For our other forwards we seem able to say "he had a bad game, but he got a goal, so he made up for it". With Sterling it's the opposite. It's "apart from the goal, he was <insert some nonsense about being 'technically poor' as if we're going to get bonus points for technique at the end of the season".

If you swapped the performances over the last few months of Foden and Sterling, Phil would be getting praised to high heaven and Raheem would be called shit, not good enough, waste of wages left right and centre.

This isn't about slagging off Phil, who's just having a bit of a rough patch, more a comment on how different our expectations are for different players. Hell, even Grealish and Jesus get less criticism on here than Raheem.

For our other forwards we seem able to say "he had a bad game, but he got a goal, so he made up for it". With Sterling it's the opposite. It's "apart from the goal, he was <insert some nonsense about being 'technically poor' as if we're going to get bonus points for technique at the end of the season".

Only scores tap ins.
You didn't mention that.

I dont think so personally.

Raz surely has odd great moments but they are wedged between many instances of objectively poor football. For every good moment raz has there must be about ten awful ones.

Such a frustrating player. Today for instance he could have poked a leg out for that bernie cross for an easy goal, scuffed a golden chance in the middle of the box , but then he scores a fantaastic goal to utterly comfound...

A true world class player would have had at least one of those easier chances though.

Raz surely has odd great moments but they are wedged between many instances of objectively poor football. For every good moment raz has there must be about ten awful ones.

Such a frustrating player. Today for instance he could have poked a leg out for that bernie cross for an easy goal, scuffed a golden chance in the middle of the box , but then he scores a fantaastic goal to utterly comfound...

A true world class player would have had at least one of those easier chances though.

Give me that any day over a player who goes missing all game and scores a penalty to paper over the cracks

Give me that any day over a player who goes missing all game and scores a penalty to paper over the cracks
We are the best team in world football with the best manager...neither is good enough in the long term. I take your point mind ;)

Christ, he's in the top 30 goalscorers of the last 30 years of league football. And scored 129 for the club.

I think we can safely say he's had a bit more than the odd great moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.