#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if anyone genuinely thinks any club would give away its second highest scorer for the sake of saving ~£15m then they're off their rocker.
I think that depends on how the club sees things. Having a player playing out his last season isn't necessarily a good thing if we are having a mini rebuild, particularly someone on high wages. They might see it differently to you in that, let's bite the bullet and bring in a new winger to integrate now with our other other signings.

I think that depends on how the club sees things. Having a player playing out his last season isn't necessarily a good thing if we are having a mini rebuild, particularly someone on high wages. They might see it differently to you in that, let's bite the bullet and bring in a new winger to integrate now with our other other signings.

I find it hard to believe the club would look at a 22 year old whose never left Argentina, Haaland who's missed 60% of this season with injury and would say to itself, "We could keep the most consistent goalscorer of the Pep era, someone who knows the system inside and out, one of our only HG players, or we could save the amout we spend on a CFG loan army signing".

21/22 Everyone has known was Ferns last season.
20/21 Everyone knew was Aguero's last season
19/20 Everyone knew was Silva's last season.

Don't see why 22/23 it would suddenly be an issue.

I think if anyone genuinely thinks any club would give away its second highest scorer for the sake of saving ~£15m then they're off their rocker.
We made £2m profit last season so £15m is not a small sum in the grand scheme of things.

I am not saying its the right thing to do, but if we need wiggle room on wages (and I don't know whether we do or don't) the club might have to get creative. I would rather them get creative with someone who is on the bench most weeks earning £200k+ pw, than hang fire again on making an important signing.

The problem with Sterling: he did absolutely nothing to lose the game. It’s foolish to blame him for the loss.

But equally? He did absolutely nothing to win the game. And I’d rather take his sell on value and his wages and put them towards a player who would.

Thank you for his service, give him a lifetime pass to the Etihad, and move him along in the summer for as much as we possibly can get.
Name me any player who could come on in that situation and singlehandedly win the game.

I find it hard to believe the club would look at a 22 year old whose never left Argentina, Haaland who's missed 60% of this season with injury and would say to itself, "We could keep the most consistent goalscorer of the Pep era, someone who knows the system inside and out, one of our only HG players, or we could save the amout we spend on a CFG loan army signing".

21/22 Everyone has known was Ferns last season.
20/21 Everyone knew was Aguero's last season
19/20 Everyone knew was Silva's last season.

Don't see why 22/23 it would suddenly be an issue.
If Sterling was constantly producing today then I could see your point

It will be about 2-3% of the wage bill next season. That's the definition of a small sum in the grand scheme of things.
Maybe suggesting a freebie was a little over-the-top.

I have my issues with Sterling but even I still believe he is a £50m+ player in any normal market. I also don't believe we have any chance of getting £50m for him this Summer. £50m transfer fee + £200k pw is a huge undertaking for even the biggest clubs in the current climate and I don't think many, if any, would use that money on Sterling. I do think there are clubs that would make that outlay, say an Arsenal, but I don't think Sterling would entertain these clubs.

So if £50m is too much and £0 is too little, what is the figure that gets the right buying clubs interested and gets City willing to do business? e.g. a £25m transfer seems crazy low for Sterling, but coupled with £15m wages saved over the year, it all of a sudden doesn't look too bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.