#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fine but you listed why and how some others opinions may have been formed and on that we agree.
I agree with this, much the same as the way you’ve formed your opinion on people who are pro Brexit no?

No issues with this whatsoever, other than the fact that Sterling is no more of a killer in the box than any of our other players. He has scored a few goals lately (and missed some sitters) but prior to this he was showing all of the issues we all know about, in addition to not scoring goals.

If he bags 25+ goals a season, then for the most part his deficiencies can be somewhat overlooked, but he is nowhere near his goal-scoring levels of a couple of years ago at the moment. I think this was a major part of him going from seemingly undroppable to 2nd string. It looked to me like Pep forgave his lack of technique, control etc for the goals. Once the goals dried up, Pep ditched him because he was bringing very little to the party. Sterling is never going to be aesthetically pleasing on the ball, but what he can be is ultra-effective when at the top of his game.

A month ago I would have said Sterling was done here, but injuries to Foden and Grealish have given him a chance, and to his credit he has certainly upped his game. It’s up to Sterling now to improve and maintain form and show everyone that he deserves to stay at the club. I say this because whatever he might think about Barca, Real or any other clubs that might be interested in him, they are all currently a step down from this City side.
Agree with all this

It does. Coz sometimes ( quite often to be honest) our intricate weaving dies when it goes to him. Coz it took him too long to get the ball under control. Then he leisurely passes it back for a reset.

It can be frustrating.
He’s a modern day Goat is Raz. Players come in all shapes and sizes. He’s contributing now and if he continues to contribute to the level he has in the past for us then he is a very good player to have

a few weeks ago I thought mentally he was done. Read his piece in the Sunday Times at the weekend and it’s clear he has been struggling for a while mentally. He has impressed me with his resilience TBH

I’m not sure where you were going with the first 2 lines, so I won’t try and guess and inevitably grab the wrong end of any stick :)

It just seemed odd to suggest that because some are more staunchly set in their view about a player’s performances, they can’t spot a fair balanced post. Seemed like an easy way to dismiss a view that you might not want, or be able, to address. A lot of that goes on in this forum.

There’s definitely 2 very separate groups of people here;

Blue tinted supporters whose only goal is to support anyone and anything, in a blue shirt, regardless of performance. Which is fine, so long as they don’t dismiss others’ opinions in a performance thread, just because those opinions are critical.

The other group are emotionally invested in the club’s performance and want desperately for the club to be the best in the world. They’ve come to expect the very best from every player (much like Pep). You could argue and have, with no way of influencing decisions and performance, that it’s slightly unhealthy - a bit like shouting in a soundproof room. I think most would agree that supporting City for so long has been an unhealthy obsession lol.

At the end of the day everyone’s entitled to an opinion, it’s just better if those opinions are well thought out and expressed, then debated objectively with openness to change one’s view.

I am not in any group, on any side , and i am quite capable of watching any player performance and evaluating the positives and negatives. I am experienced enough in the game enough to know that many players go through spells of form, this may be due to injuries and niggles, personal or professional issues which the average fan does not know about or ignores them as unimportant.

Your clearly missed the point of my first two lines, which I thought were easy enough to understand. I will try again for you.
If a fan is so entrenched in a negative view of a player , over a very long period of time, to the extent that even when that player does well, scores and assists over a run of games, they can see no positives and want them gone from the club at any price, that is bias.
If A poster writes over a period of years that the player should be sold, shouldn't be in the starting 11, needs to free a space in the squad by leaving, despite the best coach in the World continually selecting them , then I don't believe that they can spot a fair , unbiased post, and we need to just differ in our opinion of that.
I find that some posters cannot understand that ALL our players are elite. But they all have different skill sets, yes both negative and positive. I could list negatives for most of our players, our coach will be well aware of them, and will no doubt be working on them every day.

As an example I will use an ex player Toure, he had incredible qualities, yet he was a ball watcher extreme out of possession, he was poor in many aspects defensively, yet at his peak he was considered a World class player. His Managers knew he was poor defensively, I heard them comment on his weaknesses, yet they played him. Just because I knew of his defensive weakness I wasn't continually dissing him and calling for his transfer at any cost.
Confirmation bias is a trait of some football supporters.
I also take offence at the mis truths, the ever extending length of time Sterling has supposed to have been out of form, his lack of technique, the running down dead ends, doesnt score enough dribbles too much, does not take his man on. Etc.
Do people really believe Pep Guardiola would play for even one game a player thus described ?

I am not in any group, on any side , and i am quite capable of watching any player performance and evaluating the positives and negatives. I am experienced enough in the game enough to know that many players go through spells of form, this may be due to injuries and niggles, personal or professional issues which the average fan does not know about or ignores them as unimportant.

Your clearly missed the point of my first two lines, which I thought were easy enough to understand. I will try again for you.
If a fan is so entrenched in a negative view of a player , over a very long period of time, to the extent that even when that player does well, scores and assists over a run of games, they can see no positives and want them gone from the club at any price, that is bias.
If A poster writes over a period of years that the player should be sold, shouldn't be in the starting 11, needs to free a space in the squad by leaving, despite the best coach in the World continually selecting them , then I don't believe that they can spot a fair , unbiased post, and we need to just differ in our opinion of that.
I find that some posters cannot understand that ALL our players are elite. But they all have different skill sets, yes both negative and positive. I could list negatives for most of our players, our coach will be well aware of them, and will no doubt be working on them every day.

As an example I will use an ex player Toure, he had incredible qualities, yet he was a ball watcher extreme out of possession, he was poor in many aspects defensively, yet at his peak he was considered a World class player. His Managers knew he was poor defensively, I heard them comment on his weaknesses, yet they played him. Just because I knew of his defensive weakness I wasn't continually dissing him and calling for his transfer at any cost.
Confirmation bias is a trait of some football supporters.
I also take offence at the mis truths, the ever extending length of time Sterling has supposed to have been out of form, his lack of technique, the running down dead ends, doesnt score enough dribbles too much, does not take his man on. Etc.
Do people really believe Pep Guardiola would play for even one game a player thus described ?
Vivid imagination there.

You should choose your words more carefully. These are your exact words,

Facts if you actually look at who hates him most it’s the Brexit crowd. Who will find fault even when he gets a MOTM award simple because he is a different “hue”.

which is an absolute crock of shit. Firstly, how the fuck do you know those who hate him most are pro Brexit?

Secondly, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone post that they hate him

Thirdly, what has being pro Brexit to do with race or racism?

Fourthly, how do you know who is pro & anti Brexit anyway

Fifthly, how do you know the race of any poster unless you’ve met them?

So you are chatting 100% shite.

It would be akin to me seeing you post in the Gabby Logan thread (if there is one?) that you think she’s a shit presenter because of x, y & z and then for me to deduce & post that makes you a male chauvinist at best & a rapist at worst & yet I know nothing about you or even if you’re male or female

Are there racists on this board? I’m sure there are. Can you identify them by if they post negative things about Sterling or if they are pro Brexit? Can you fuck, so wind your fucking neck in with your baseless accusations.

Such aggression and anger even resorting to personal insults. And I do not take orders from anyone my opinion remains my own regardless of your aggression.

I stand by Raheem as he is one of the best players to ever play for this club. But feel free to continue your insults.

Funny you keep trying to control my thoughts, behaviour and viewpoints yet claim to not hold any bias.

I shall not be moved I see what I see and stand firmly by it!‍

Oh do fuck off with your small mindedness. Deal with the fact that others have a different view to you and because your brain cell cannot understand why, conclude it has to be racism.

Yet I have not sworn or attacked anyone just pointed out my opinion based on my observations.

Rather interesting.

Yet I have not sworn or attacked anyone just pointed out my opinion based on my observations.

Rather interesting.
You haven't attacked anyone, really!

You have done far worse sunshine. You are publicly accusing posters of being racist. Have you reported these posters to the police? have you fuck because your evidence is zilch.

What's really interesting is that having been pulled on this stupidity, you have shifted your viewpoint to it now being only your opinion, where previously you were stating it as fact.

Any aggressive posts you receive, and there have been plenty, you have brought upon yourself through being so pathetic.

Such aggression and anger even resorting to personal insults. And I do not take orders from anyone my opinion remains my own regardless of your aggression.

I stand by Raheem as he is one of the best players to ever play for this club. But feel free to continue your insults.

Funny you keep trying to control my thoughts, behaviour and viewpoints yet claim to not hold any bias.

I shall not be moved I see what I see and stand firmly by it!‍
Two can play at this game

I see what I see & I’ve not insulted anyone. Are you being homophobic because of my sexual orientation?

Raheem Sterling one of the best players in the world when he’s on form. I'm a city fan and love Sterling, but I don't think there's been a player with such a difference between their best and worst levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.