8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its worth remembering that he was actually playing well at the start and then he picked up a back injury on first international break of the season, then he was getting up to speed after that and got injured again.

So his first few months here were stop-start.

I've been saying all the way through the thread since the start that he's very good footballer and that i think people will see it by the end of the season.

I was very happy when we bought him because I've rated him long before we bought him and I like that he's a very positive player. he always looks to get the ball and get things moving with a pass forward or driving forward, unless there's nothing on at all.
yeah his injury seems to be irrelevant, he’s just shit.

it was a hamstring injury actually, i believe it was a bad translation of the term used for hamstring here.

Said a few times in this thread we very rarely get these type of signings wrong and always felt good he would come through.

Seems a window with potential to be very good

Gvardiol - Pep seems like and very young, has played a lot
Kov - Seems like he could fit in effortlessly on form and I’ve always been confident
Doku - Obviously has that quick feet/ turn of pace, liked by a lot of fans (I’m more on the fence on this one)
Nunes - I think most are hoping Pep can work some magic, felt down our list and possibly more of a panic buy after other transfers failed.

So could be a very good, good or an ok window

Last edited:
happy for Kovacic to put up a good performance, also happy that fanbase looks unanimous about his starting eleven ability. Unpopular opinion then, but cant help myself. I just think hes far from required level (as so elite/world class level) within the final third. Hes elite in keeping ball close to his feet, especially when going through the lines, hes a fighter and help us much - proper central midfielder staff. But hes decision making in the final third is something that frustrates and surely should be much better (for a player of his overall ability). He either takes to long to make a shot, which leads to an absurd amount of blocked shots or is subpar with short, combination passes (mostly in the final third). Plays, more or less, as 8, similar tasks to Gundogan. Statistics for Kovacic are brutal (one goal at WC and thats it, zero goals, zero assists) and unfortunately has always been.

For me great option as a squad player, but hes not Manchester City starting eleven player. In a way Im happy to be a minority. At the end of the day this take is not exactly supportive for a City player.

As I said weeks ago, give him enough time, he will win fans over. The quality's there, and he will show it more as he gets more confident.

Brilliant performance. His ability to dribble through midfield is seriously underrated, the way he glides through the lines sometimes is very enjoyable to watch.

Gave him my MOTM last night and that is a fairly comprehensive summary of his performance with the ball. The weight of his passing was impressive, and if the attackers had had more pace and control in the first half, they’d have been clean through twice.
Gave it to Bernardo, but only just because I thought his contribution was pivotal in our defense coping with their counters so well.

People who mocked Kova's "elite ball carrying" skills are surprisingly silent now :)

Gave it to Bernardo, but only just because I thought his contribution was pivotal in our defense coping with their counters so well.

People who mocked Kova's "elite ball carrying" skills are surprisingly silent now :)
People always seem to want to compare players such as Kovacic with players that have left or players that do different things. More rewarding to appreciate his strengths and enjoy what he brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.