8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

I said in the pregame thread that I don't know what to make of him, and I still don't.

I thought he was decent, but at the same time, he gave them three or four chances off of simple mistakes with little or no pressure. I do not doubt that if Nunes had made similar mistakes, this thread would be filled with criticism for whatever reason.

he is good squad player and his price was in line with that. as a starter imo he does not give us as much as we need. for him to play regularly rest of the attacking players need to overperform not underperform.

to have Kovacic in there and two fullbacks who cannot create anything attack wise, it makes it easy for opponents to defend us.

Kovacic feels very passive to me. safety, control is all nice, when you score your chances and create chances, but when you dont even have shot on target all game the control is a bit too much on safety side.

to have Kovacic in there and two fullbacks who cannot create anything attack wise, it makes it easy for opponents to defend us.

This is a good point.

I think he offers a lot in games where our more creative attacking with intent and quickly, he brings a level of control and makes us more solid so that were not doing it recklessly, as we have been this season when we get caught by leaving huge gaps. We've been much better at cutting that out when he plays.

However in games like yesterday where there's not much space, slower attacking etc etc. Then his abilities don't really contribute much.

I rate him, he's very useful to have in certain games for sure. You can see he's quality because he doesn't look in anyway out of his depth at this level, that's why he's played for the teams he has.

he is good squad player and his price was in line with that. as a starter imo he does not give us as much as we need. for him to play regularly rest of the attacking players need to overperform not underperform.

Kovacic feels very passive to me. safety, control is all nice, when you score your chances and create chances, but when you dont even have shot on target all game the control is a bit too much on safety side.
quite true. Teams sees this lineup and then they can just sit back and enjoy. That is exactly what Arsenal did yesterday. They left tons of space to the two wings knowing neither fullback capable of a cross. They were happy to let Mateo handing the ball in their final third rather than KDB.

It's not just him though, the whole team play like that.
You can see on their faces, especially the new and younger players, how sheepishly they look to the bench when something doesn't come off.

I thought he played well yesterday and all season for the most part, and we look more solid with him next to Rodri, we just need better options on the wings.

It's not just him though, the whole team play like that.
You can see on their faces, especially the new and younger players, how sheepishly they look to the bench when something doesn't come off.

I thought he played well yesterday and all season for the most part, and we look more solid with him next to Rodri, we just need better options on the wings.
Chelsea had multiple coaches tried multiple formation the only one can bring good from Kova it is 343 with two wing backs. He offers not enough attacking in 433 and he offers not enough defensively as a double pivot in 4231. The only way to go 343 and let two bombing wing backs make up the lack of attacking & defensive contributions.

However we don't play 343 and we don't have a single wingback.

he took a while to warm into the game, was a bit lost in the opening 20. Overall was ok.

Chelsea had multiple coaches tried multiple formation the only one can bring good from Kova it is 343 with two wing backs. He offers not enough attacking in 433 and he offers not enough defensively as a double pivot in 4231. The only way to go 343 and let two bombing wing backs make up the lack of attacking & defensive contributions.

However we don't play 343 and we don't have a single wingback.
Yet we still bought him and he still gets games for us!

Was interesting to see him used as the left centre back and Ake pushed into midfield whenever Ortega had it/we tried to build from the back. A vote of confidence from Pep in terms of trust.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.