80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rate Cole highly but he’s not put a foot right since he came on as a sub a month or so back and refused to play the return ball to a better placed Alvarez. Cole didn’t seem to know what was expected of him last night and did a bit better in the second half when closing down and challenging defenders.
Exactly my thoughts-there were a few grumbles in the crowd on 2 occasions that day-I get the impression he's doubting himself a little right now and taken him away from his natural style. He'll come through it.

Like I said pre-match, the lad isn't a midfielder and will never shine there for us, his languid almost lazy looking style lacks the tenacity and dynamism in his game to play that position effectively. He's more of a burst player that's suited to playing out wide. Maybe peps trying to instill that into him giving him minutes central. Minutes are minutes at his age but hard not to see a wasted opportunity, want to see him on the wing where he has a license to produce something himself. Hopefully we see it against Chelsea.

Pep does move in mysterious ways with these young players. Everyone has assumed Phil will eventually end up as a number 8 and yet from his very early starts Pep has used him as a winger. Palmer is supposedly a winger and yet Pep regularly slots him into KDB’s position! Who knows what the plan is..

Tough game for him really and he wasn’t the only one to struggle particularly in that first half.

Like I said pre-match, the lad isn't a midfielder and will never shine there for us, his languid almost lazy looking style lacks the tenacity and dynamism in his game to play that position effectively. He's more of a burst player that's suited to playing out wide. Maybe peps trying to instill that into him giving him minutes central. Minutes are minutes at his age but hard not to see a wasted opportunity, want to see him on the wing where he has a license to produce something himself. Hopefully we see it against Chelsea.
Palmer reminds me of Cuenca, one of the La Masia boys promoted under Pep.

There was a point in the first half when he went to the wings and produced a nice cross for Jack. I was saying at that point, ‘that’s what he can do. Move him from the central position Pep’.

However, I think that Pep may be trying to instil certain things to his game.

He looked much better the very moment he was decoupled from Riyad on the right side.
I don’t think it had much to do with Mahrez as Cole’s first few touches included running a simple ball out of play and ballooning a chance over the bar. Anyone can have an off night

When he's come off the bench for the last half hour the opposition have been chasing the game as they are already 3 goals down so the games have been a bit more open. I get the impression he is struggling against 10 man defences. But the very best players find it hard when confronted with a packed defence.

Bit annoying pep put him in the middle twice and next to out of form Mahrez twice tbh. Would have liked him to get a game out wide.

I'm still adamant he will not be a central midfielder but that was by far his best performance in that position tonight. Much more tenacity and drive to his game going both ways. Very good but want to see him out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.