82 | Rico Lewis - 2024/25

Errrr….!

Don’t you mean “Godri”!!! Been calling him that since he got his feet under him and understood the role.

One or two comments on the “at fault” question:

John Stones. He was ahead of the player when the break happened and there was ONLY ONE PLAYER who could have scored, but he never closed him down. Rather, he just ran back towards his own goal, without moving towards the danger.

Rico was behind the play when it developed and was never getting goal side. Additionally, the goal scorer was one of the two strikers, not a marauding left winger or midfielder.

Ederson is in No Man’s Land the entire time…neither here nor there! His position couldn’t close down the ball, because it was too good and curling away from him, but he’s marooned himself halfway and hung himself out to dry.

As one commentator said, “the ball went into an empty net!” Had Ederson stayed home, on his 3 yard line, he would not only have had more time to react, but also covered his goal more easily.

Lastly, we were three at the back (standard), but narrow. When the ball went wide on the break,

1) Gvardiol had to leave his man and come across to push the player down the line. Before he got there, the ball was released.

2) Dias was covering both a man and 95% of the cross options that Ederson couldn’t sweep up.

3) Stones, as the break occurs, is the last man by a yard or two, but us initially sucked towards Dias, as that’s where he SEES the danger, not realizing it was behind him the whole time.

Even when the ball comes over, he still hasn’t sussed the danger is right behind him, but when he does, HE definitely feels like it was Rico’s fault the lad was free…even though it was Stones’ own player in the back three set up we were playing.

4) Once again, this shows how vulnerable we are when pressing 7 or 8 players forward, when one of them gives the ball away. Pep knows this and tasks the defenders to be good enough ball players to deal with it.

The only problem with that equation is that every defender playing that game knows that to commit is death and to jockey is time and, hopefully, a lifeline.

In this instance, it didn’t work, and a brilliant pass in behind the retreating defenders paid dividends.

Now, if WE had scored that goal with KDB and Haaland, it’d be on the highlight reel as a “KDB Masterpass” and a brilliant first time finish. I think we need to acknowledge it was a near perfect fast break that was (almost) undefendable.

It is possible for teams to exploit our 1 on 1 back line roulette, and Wolves did it.
As you say, Wolves did their homework and executed their plan very effectively for their goal. We absolutely have to give them credit for that.

On thing about our defending of those kinds of situation, it's a risk based stratergy. We are relying on teams not being able to execute a killer pass into the final third and create those goal scoring opportunites, and 95% of the time it pays off. Occasionally, teams get lucky and get it absolutely spot on.

Should we sit back and defend deeper? No, because it's playing a high line that makes us such an effective attacking team.
I feel Rico gets the same stuff Gundogan did before his false 9 ex points turned him into Mr Whippy.

Rico is one of our technically most gifted players, but doesn’t have that blood and guts approach that us English fans seem to demand when the chips are down.

He’s adapting his role this year, like the rest of the team, because of the loss of Rodri. Transitions are an issue whether we have Rico or Kyle at right back, so speed doesn’t seem to be the main issue.

Rico is really good at 1 v 1 defending, so if he can stand his winger up, he stops the attacks more often than not.

He obviously needs to improve his opposition box decision making. If he does that, we have a Lahm-esque prospect on our hands.

Each of you should know by now that reasonable, thoughtful takes that acknowledge complexity and employ a forward thinking approach to analysis have absolutely no place in the Player Performance threads.

Mix bag

I would love to see a defender stepping up into midfield. But Rico should do more to improve his defending. Don't want to see him becoming another Zinchinko or TAA people lable you as a defensive weakness when you are 24.

Love the guy, he's a huge talent but as others have said, i'm not sure what position his talents really suit

I think Rico is a fantastic player, but he will always be physically limited as a full back. He's listed as 5'7 but looks an inch or two shorter than Spanish Dave did at that size. And I have a good frame of reference for what 2 inches looks like.

He may have another growth spurt in him, and I'm sure he'll pack on muscle as he matures, but he has a small frame, and he doesn't have any other standout physical attributes (pace) to help him.

I think what this means is that his decision making/reading of the game will have to be elite for him to hit his ceiling. He is good in those areas, especially for his age, but considering the physical limitations he will have to win on the mental side - if that makes sense. Regardless of how he progresses, I still think he'll have a long, successful career - but right now he's a very good footballer without a natural position.

Do you honestly think Pep is going to watch back the video with the team and say that
So you think Pep is going to watch back the video of the Wolves goal and say “Rico, that was completely on you, you must run back faster! John, you did great, keep doing what you are doing. Josko, no notes.”?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.