82 | Rico Lewis - 2024/25

I think Rico is a fantastic player, but he will always be physically limited as a full back. He's listed as 5'7 but looks an inch or two shorter than Spanish Dave did at that size. And I have a good frame of reference for what 2 inches looks like.

He may have another growth spurt in him, and I'm sure he'll pack on muscle as he matures, but he has a small frame, and he doesn't have any other standout physical attributes (pace) to help him.

I think what this means is that his decision making/reading of the game will have to be elite for him to hit his ceiling. He is good in those areas, especially for his age, but considering the physical limitations he will have to win on the mental side - if that makes sense. Regardless of how he progresses, I still think he'll have a long, successful career - but right now he's a very good footballer without a natural position.
Just quoting in this previous post I made regarding the height/size concerns, which I don’t think are actually an issue.

To those worried about his height, I would just like to ask: how many of the best fullbacks in the history of football (or even recent history) have been much taller than 1.70m?

Here are some of the best, most versatile, most decorated fullbacks in recent history who had a similar build and skill profile to our Rico:

Lahm 1.70m
Kimmich 1.77m
Alba 1.70m
Carvajal 1.73m
Marcelo 1.74m
Carlos 1.68m
Alves 1.72m

And I would go so far as to say he is a better defender than a few on that list.

I really wouldn’t worry about his height, for the same reason no one ever worries about Bernie’s (or worried about El Mago’s or Roberto Carlos’). When you have the natural talent and intelligence they have, you don’t need to be a giant.

Do you honestly think Pep is going to watch back the video with the team and say that
Pep is going to watch that and then tell Rico that he is solely responsible for the goal?
Pretty sure he will ask Gvardiol why he ran away from the winger and he will probably ask John Stones what he was doing as well as telling Rico that he could have done better.

In this instance, it didn’t work, and a brilliant pass in behind the retreating defenders paid dividends.

ow, if WE had scored that goal with KDB and Haaland, it’d be on the highlight reel as a “KDB Masterpass” and a brilliant first time finish. I think we need to acknowledge it was a near perfect fast break that was (almost) undefendable.

I listened to about 5 non-City focused pod casts this AM (I know roll your eyes!), many with ex players. And nearly everyone said this was a perfect execution. Not much you could do. Many are often quick to blame City players, but not in this instance.

Not related to the quoted post, I do think many people are quick to “excuse” Rico for many reasons that also exist for Joško (also young, often high up, still learning system, finding right position), but who doesn’t often get the luxury of those excuses. We’re lucky to have both of them. Even if they still have room to grow.

Pep is going to watch that and then tell Rico that he is solely responsible for the goal?
Pretty sure he will ask Gvardiol why he ran away from the winger and he will probably ask John Stones what he was doing as well as telling Rico that he could have done better.
They’ll already know. They’ll be on a rest day today, whilst Pep watches 400 hours of Sparta Prague games in 8 hours and comes up with a madness for Wednesday, which he’ll tell the players tomorrow.

There were a lot of other issues apart from Lewis in that goal. The fact the press was broken so easily allowing the ball to get to the winger. Gvardiol ball watching/getting caught under the ball, then not closing down the winger to allow him to put a cross in under no pressure, both Centre halves could have done a better job covering and Rico should have also covered better. All these will be looked at surely. I think the fact a lot of people a blaming Lewis only for the goal is stupid. I assume it's the difference between if people like him as a player or not.

Spot on. imo problem being that this is a carbon copy of a number of recent goals against us. Its the long standing no left back issue .Guardiol is a top player but not a traditional left back and sometimes that is what is needed . We play a narrow 3 at the back lacking pace and mobility and it keeps getting exposed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.