9/11 - Where were you?

Tragic meat van guy said:
on an island in Indonesia, just off lombok called gili trawangan.
At the time a tiny little place with about 400 ppl on it. we were in one of the only bars with a telly.
Being in paradise and watching that was proper mad it was about 11pm when the second plane hit.
None of us or the other backpackers we met knew anyone in NY but there were others trying to get online to contact ppl.
To be fair we went to a beach party and got splattered till dawn on local mushrooms
The advice from home was basically get out of Indonesia asap as I think it the most densly populated muslim countries and the foreign office was shitting it. we had no real worries although some lad about 12 took a real dislike to my brummie mate and kept threatening him with a blow pipe on lombok and telling us how they used to kidnap tourists but that was before 9/11 by about a week (and he was 4 stone wet through)
Was mad seeing the sari club in the news after the bomb attach a few years after
I went to that island in 2005, tried a mushroom smoothie. Smallest island with an Irish bar apparently.

9/11 I was in work and couldn't comprehend what was being relayed to me (no TV), got home later and said to my dad 'what the fuck is happening'?

dronefromsector7g said:
Tragic meat van guy said:
on an island in Indonesia, just off lombok called gili trawangan.
At the time a tiny little place with about 400 ppl on it. we were in one of the only bars with a telly.
Being in paradise and watching that was proper mad it was about 11pm when the second plane hit.
None of us or the other backpackers we met knew anyone in NY but there were others trying to get online to contact ppl.
To be fair we went to a beach party and got splattered till dawn on local mushrooms
The advice from home was basically get out of Indonesia asap as I think it the most densly populated muslim countries and the foreign office was shitting it. we had no real worries although some lad about 12 took a real dislike to my brummie mate and kept threatening him with a blow pipe on lombok and telling us how they used to kidnap tourists but that was before 9/11 by about a week (and he was 4 stone wet through)
Was mad seeing the sari club in the news after the bomb attach a few years after
I went to that island in 2005, tried a mushroom smoothie. Smallest island with an Irish bar apparently.

9/11 I was in work and couldn't comprehend what was being relayed to me (no TV), got home later and said to my dad 'what the fuck is happening'?

Well, what did he say?

half the sodding story ffs...

Working on HSBC tower in Canary Wharf. Stood on hoist platform waiting to go to roof, level 44, my mrs. rang me and told me about it. As we went up in the hoist I was explaining it to my mate, another guy in the hoist said yes, i just heard about it in the canteen. We looked out of the hoist at London City Airport where planes were taking off directly at us, my mate said "what the fuck are we doing going up here" As we got out at roof level a supervisor screamed at us "get back in, go down , and get off site" "where to" we asked "Anywhere, just fuck off" Eventually got in my car to drive home and heard it all on radio 5. Unbelievable.

Sat in a foreign weapons acquaint when someone opened the door and wheeled in a TV so we could watch it unfold in real time. Was sat on a plane within 8 weeks with the eventual destination for Afghan. Changed my and many people's life, shocking day. RIP.

I was 11 at the time, so old enough to know what was going on without really "understanding" the magnitude of it.

Got out of school at 3pm, my mum was there to pick me up. We walked to her car and she said "Something bad has happened". I thought it was to do with one of my grandparents or something. I asked her what it was. She said "Well, a plane has flown into a skyscraper in New York." I remember my immediate thoughts being 'oh sounds like all the other tragedies we hear on the news, what's different about this?' Being 11, my mind wasn't really capable of imagining how bad that was. As others have said, I was thinking bi-plane flying into a huge building maybe killing a few people at the most.

"Oh right, so it was an accident?"

"Well, they thought it was.... but then there was another one."

Now, I was renowned as a kid for talking all the time. But for that whole car journey I sat there in silence trying to figure out why anybody would do that on purpose.

Got home and after 30 minutes of watching it, I didn't want to see any more because it upset me. I left and sat in the conservatory and played the Playstation. Went to school the next day and the poor teacher who had been allocated to try and explain what had happened to us couldn't because she was in floods of tears just talking about it. I think that's when the real importance of it hit me.

Lancaster ......

i was casually strolling down a street in the town centre when , from a distance , i spied about fifteen people all looking in a tv shop window ... at first i thought they must have had a sale on, until i got nearer and saw the smoke billowing from the twin towers on all the tv sets in the window.

black mamba said:
Lancaster ......

i was casually strolling down a street in the town centre when , from a distance , i spied about fifteen people all looking in a tv shop window ... at first i thought they must have had a sale on, until i got nearer and saw the smoke billowing from the twin towers on all the tv sets in the window.

Was it Rum billows?

paphos-mcfc said:
black mamba said:
Lancaster ......

Was it Rum billows?
No, Allahgos.

Pigeonho said:
paphos-mcfc said:
black mamba said:
Lancaster ......

Was it Rum billows?
No, Allahgos.

Currys it is then!

Had just flown in from Jamaica that morning, and we were having a new tv delivered. The 2 guys who delivered it had heard on the radio that a small plane had crashed into the trade centre. They installed the tv just in time to watch the second plane crash. We brewed up for them and sat for a good hour just mesmerised.
Surreal thing was our shuttle to London the week before had been cancelled at the last minute due to technical fault and we missed the connecting flight to Jamaica. We ended up in New York for the night and took a connection frm there - on American Airlines. As we took off from JFK we spotted the trade centre (which we had been up 6 months earlier). Thank god we were a week early...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.