9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think he needs to drop deep more and run at people.

The runs in behind scare defenders, but if you watch the Arsenal lot when he actually got the ball, turned and ran at them once or twice they absolutely shit themselves.

The best games I’ve ever seen him play was against Sevilla in the CL where he was doing this, coming short, picking up the ball and just running straight at the centre backs.

Diego Carlos and Kounde just couldn’t cope.

And then after he’d done that a few times they were always in 2 minds because they couldn’t drop off anticipating runs in behind every ball, which gave him a couple of yards more space when he did go long.

I know Pep likes him up there as the focal point, but there’s a lot more room for variety in his game, especially when we’re going through some games with him getting 5 or 6 touches of the ball.

Is it me where opposing defenses have managed to figure out how to defend on Erling Haaland so that he is less effective and puts up fewer goals? Anyway, I hope to see him in the spotlight against Nottingham Forest and that he scores a double

Is it me where opposing defenses have managed to figure out how to defend on Erling Haaland so that he is less effective and puts up fewer goals? Anyway, I hope to see him in the spotlight against Nottingham Forest and that he scores a double

I think the simple fact is we’ve been playing better teams recently.

He’s already notched against every team he’s played outside the “traditional top six” except for Brentford and Bournemouth. He’s yet to play Leicester.

Edit: just realised he has already scored against 15 out of the 19 teams in the Premier League (if you include cup games). What a ridiculous stat that is. Bournemouth, Brentford, Chelsea and Leicester are the last ones standing.

Last edited:

The runs in behind scare defenders, but if you watch the Arsenal lot when he actually got the ball, turned and ran at them once or twice they absolutely shit themselves.

The best games I’ve ever seen him play was against Sevilla in the CL where he was doing this, coming short, picking up the ball and just running straight at the centre backs.

And then after he’d done that a few times they were always in 2 minds because they couldn’t drop off anticipating runs in behind every ball, which gave him a couple of yards more space when he did go long.

I know Pep likes him up there as the focal point, but there’s a lot more room for variety in his game, especially when we’re going through some games with him getting 5 or 6 touches of the ball.
Agree to an extent, dom, however think that variation will evolve more next season; what was exposed more than any time this season on Wednesday was his physicality unnerving defenders in and around the 18 yard box, the var for the penalty highlighting such, he literally built that scenario up from his handling of Gabriel et al; he undoubtedly has more in the locker but he can wear an opponent down through 50/50 challenges, he’s conditioned to do so and we need to utilise it, it’s paramount to our control in the final 3rd here on in…

Stick it in the dirty areas of the pitch, he’s telling us as much, you only have to see his reaction to what was a physical battle from the off, not like Everton etc, this was in key areas that are more fruitful…

I get the feeling for the first time on Wednesday he saw what it will take to be a champion and he wants it, he’s starving for it!

Agree 100%

Agree to an extent, dom, however think that variation will evolve more next season; what was exposed more than any time this season on Wednesday was his physicality unnerving defenders in and around the 18 yard box, the var for the penalty highlighting such, he literally built that scenario up from his handling of Gabriel et al; he undoubtedly has more in the locker but he can wear an opponent down through 50/50 challenges, he’s conditioned to do so and we need to utilise it, it’s paramount to our control in the final 3rd here on in…

Stick it in the dirty areas of the pitch, he’s telling us as much, you only have to see his reaction to what was a physical battle from the off, not like Everton etc, this was in key areas that are more fruitful…

I get the feeling for the first time on Wednesday he saw what it will take to be a champion and he wants it, he’s starving for it!
He was absolutely buzzing after Wednesday. More than the usual buzzing. Something had obviously clicked.

Anyone see his interview with Alan Shearer on Amazon Prime You Tube. In his own way, he is as open as Jack. Its worth a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.